Duck foot injury on 3/29/19

With the amount of heat she put off the day I found it, I knew it was onset infection! Though it is not purulent, at all. Which contradicts the idea of it actually being infected.

At this point I am also believing it was a skin fissure that got dirty...

As far as antibiotics, I am fortunate enough to be in contact with my former boss (Veterinarian), who is completely informed on the situation and ready to take action if this takes a turn for the worse (knock on wood for it not to!). We both agree that it’s best to avoid antibiotics until the animal’s immune system shows signs of weakness. Unfortunately sometimes antibiotics when used too soon can do more harm than good. But thank you for that info! I have saved the different types of antibiotics you mentioned.:love Are there any more antibiotics safe to use in ducks?
I agree you shouldn't use antibiotics right away. Your duckies body could probably fight the infection off since you caught it early and are treating it.
I will check other antibiotics that for safe for ducks and let you know. I'm sure others know some they can add.

2FDAE881-2DDB-4F05-93D4-588B232D5F4C.jpeg

Not the best photo, sorry guys! I was trying to clean it up best I could and she wasn’t having any of it today. I was also solo-moding this time. The silver sheen is AluShield. I will moisturize her feet at some point today when I get the chance.

Her foot and toe are no longer swollen or hot, despite what it looks like in the photo. As mentioned many other times in my previous replies, there is a hard knot on the joint and her toe is very stiff (which is what may look “swollen” in the photo), not purulent. Have any of you experienced broken/fractured toes?

What are the collective thoughts?

Last edited:
Sorry about that, my computer had a little meltdown :caf

I'm glad I have never had to deal with cracked skin thus far... chapped lips are bad enough for me! I can tell you one thing, ducks take bumps and falls like champs. If I were them I'd be balled up crying most likely!

Right! I was excited because my backyard is full of 100ft Georgia pines. But good thing I got that understood. Pine tar =/= pine tree.

I'll definitely be looking into this product. Seems like something good to have around!
Your computer had a meltdown? - Usually I have frequent meltdowns in front of my computers… ;)

So what ever happened it’s healing. Maybe resting more than running around will help. When mine limp and I can’t find the problem I put them in the smaller fenced area put Nutritional yeast over their feed and usually in less than 4 days they are back to normal but haven’t had a brake.

Back
Top Bottom