Duck house in progress

Bubba Ray

Hatching
Feb 16, 2017
Ok so here is an update on the future housing of my rouens. Today I got around to digging the perimeter and putting wire 14" deep. I also plan to put bricks in front of the wire.I only got around the mini barn area today but plan to do the same around the chain link. Also a locking door on the opening to the barn and of course a roof. More updates as time permits.
[/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited:
1) Welcome to BYC!!!
and
2) I love your duck house/pen! It looks very sturdy and predator-proof...Please continue to update!

Bubba Ray, I thought I would share our duck house since yours is looking so nifty.Our new duck house started with just a frame, footprint is 4'x 4'. Rainy weather dictated we build it under the barn porch roof and then move the finished product over to the yard. Once the frame was built up, we put hardware cloth under the floor and then nailed down the final flooring. Sides went on, roof was last. Then doors and windows were cut from the "box" of house.

Made a template of the house footprint, then laid it out on the bank in the back yard and dug out a flat spot, poured concrete around treated posts to keep it off the ground and level. Careful attention was paid to getting the tops of the 4 posts level so when we moved the house onto the posts, it was already going to be level.

Exterior is finished other than some final decorating, now just fire up the tractor, move it with the forks and ease it onto the pre-positioned posts. It was a bit tricky but with 4 adults and a lot of discussion (emphasis on cuss) we finally got it squarely planted on the side of the hill, used steel straps to tie it down to the posts, next just add a few decorator touches and a fence and we're in business. Total cost of the house was about $75.00 and took a week to build due to breaks for nasty weather. When we get the weather vane up and the duck profile installed, I'll post final pics.

" More updates as time permits"

Bubba Ray, How goes your Rouen House? I'm waiting on more pics of your house and yard...still don't have my fencing up yet but have 4 ducklings in the brooder as of today. Silver Welsh Harlequins.

Sorry 'yall I have been working quite a bit and have not had any time to work on the Rouen house. I am taking a vacation day though on the 21st to dedicate a whole day to finishing it. I will post pics of the completed house that night. The Rouens are getting big and getting thier feathers so it is time to move em out.I didnt realize how hard it would be to be a duck owner and a nurse lol but it is fun having them around.

Last edited:
My ducklings just got an additional 4x4 area added to their brooder. Also a "dunk and slurp" water arrangement, so they can play all they want and stick their entire head into the water, but they can't drown. These are pics of my new duck house with all the decorations.

All I need now are the signs "The Quack House" and the fence entry "Waddle Gate."

My ducklings just got an additional 4x4 area added to their brooder. Also a "dunk and slurp" water arrangement, so they can play all they want and stick their entire head into the water, but they can't drown. These are pics of my new duck house with all the decorations.

All I need now are the signs "The Quack House" and the fence entry "Waddle Gate."

That is such a cute house!

Back
Top Bottom