Duck is pooping milky white, no egg for 5 days

tatswell

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 20, 2013
Southern New England
My gold hybrid 300 duck, a little over a year old is pooping milky white, no egg for 5 days, and acts as if she is pushing something out.
Today was the first day she seemed lethargic and did not want to follow the other girls around the yard to forage and swim. She stayed in the coop acting as if she was going to lay an egg.
Although she has not laid in 5 days, the previous 4 days she seemed fine.
I gave her a warm bath in a steamy room and massaged her belly for abut a half hour. In that time she did not pass a normal poop but rather pooped 4 times a milky substance and once a black large cylinder like poop with milky white.

Last year one of my girls had eyp and I actually had her spayed and she is doing wonderfully now. But although the symptoms are somewhat similar, they are also different.
What are your thoughts?
Also I've put some activated charcoal in her water in hopes it will pull out any toxins, bacteria, etc. I also do acv a couple times a week.
I haven't noticed her eat her pellet food, but she did eat lettuce, tomatoes, and mealworms.

She could be egg bound. A good duck vet would be best. I would give her some extra calcium - like 400 mg or so (maybe 200 mg 2 x a day).

Time in lukewarm water is good.

She may have a digestive problem - might be impacted? Wondering if she swallowed some metal.

I thought perhaps she was eb too, but after 5 days of not laying, wouldn't she be much worse?
I will do the extra calcium.
If impacted, would she be able to poop anything normal? I will follow her around today and check her poops- I checked on her this morning and she perked right up.
Also, my khaki has not laid in about 2 weeks! But she is fine, eating, active, we have had some pretty warm weather in New England- perhaps this has something to do with it? My mallard also is not laying! But she is currently in molt, so that doesn't surprise me.

Last edited:
I thought perhaps she was eb too, but after 5 days of not laying, wouldn't she be much worse?
I will do the extra calcium.
If impacted, would she be able to poop anything normal? I will follow her around today and check her poops- I checked on her this morning and she perked right up.
Also, my khaki has not laid in about 2 weeks! But she is fine, eating, active, we have had some pretty warm weather in New England- perhaps this has something to do with it? My mallard also is not laying! But she is currently in molt, so that doesn't surprise me.

Can you post a picture of her poop?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom