Duck lost companion

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jduke, Jul 18, 2019.

1. jduke

jduke Chirping

May 1, 2016
    St. Louis, MO
    One of my two ducks was killed this evening by a raccoon that pinned it down. I'm at a loss with what to do with my other duck. I don't want to get rid of her but everything I've read suggests that I get another duck for her. I don't even know where to begin finding an adult female pekin duck.

I have her inside with me tonight and she's at least eating and drinking but I feel horrible for her that she's lost her best friend of 4 years. I got them as babies. I honestly don't know what to think right now and any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

quackiemama and Miss Lydia like this.
  2. Ducklover77

Ducklover77 Songster

Jun 14, 2019
    Florida
    Oh my goodness I just wanted to say how sorry I am about your baby. My heart breaks for you and your Pekin you have me in tears this morning I'm new to the duck world so I can't be of help but I do know she will need another friend :hit

3. Daphne_loves_mealworms

Daphne_loves_mealworms Crowing

May 13, 2018
    Vermont
    I’m so sorry to hear about your duck! I would say that the first order of business would be to fortify their pen to prevent a repeat attack, then absolutely get a couple of companions for your remaining hen.

I would vote for two friends rather than one to prevent another lonely duck in the future if one were to pass away.

Unless you have a strong preference for Pekins, the new duck or ducks can be a different breed. Just make sure to do a slow introduction (in separate pens where they can see, but not touch, each other until they seem decently tolerant of each other). It would be ideal to quarantine any newcomers if your remaining hen can hold on alone for a bit while that occurs.

My adult Rouen hen lost her companion and best friend (a Pekin hen) to a mystery illness a year ago. She was inconsolable, and my husband went out on an emergency duck finding mission. He brought two very feisty 5 or 6-week old Muscovy ducklings of unknown genders (both ended up being hens, thankfully) as that was all he could find.

It was a rough introduction, but all ended up well and they are currently a very happy flock of 3.

Once again, I’m very sorry for your loss, and I wish you good luck on your duck finding mission! I would check local feed stores, the newspaper, or even Craigslist if you are in the US. I’m sure there are (sadly) ducks out there from people that regretted getting ducklings this past spring.

4. Callender Girl

Callender Girl Crowing

Sep 18, 2018
    North Central Iowa
    I am so sorry for your loss, and your duck's -- not only did she lose her buddy, but she must be terribly traumatized. Another female adult Pekin would be ideal, but maybe not the only option. She might appreciate any new friend.

Although I have had great luck with Craigslist (where I found the breeder who has supplied all of my runner ducks), I know it can be risky. My original flock of chickens all came from a 4-H kid who wanted to get rid of his birds to begin a new 4-H project. And, there may be folks on this forum who are in your area that can point you in the right direction.

In any case, take care of yourself and your baby.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

:hugsSo very sorry for your loss. That raccoon will be back so please make sure your lone duck will be safe. Try your state thread first. @where am I where are you. And I agree 2 more friends for your duck. It probably won’t take long before they would be fast friends. Again I am very sorry

6. jduke

jduke Chirping

May 1, 2016
    St. Louis, MO
    Thank you all for your condolences. I feel worse that I couldn't protect her or save her. The remaining female is going to be staying inside for a while. #1: the predator will definitely be back and #2: I can't leave her alone, literally and I can't justify it in my mind, not until I find a new friend. She and the rabbit will (hopefully) keep each other company. She was the smaller of the pair but the dominant one. Last night was the first time she just wanted to be held on to. I feel so bad for her.

I got them at a feed store around Easter but I know that our humane society sometimes has ducks at their ranch/farm facility.

7. Miss Lydia

Yes rescues are wonderful places to look. Let us know what you find. In the mean time she and bunny are getting special attention :love

8. jduke

jduke Chirping

May 1, 2016
    St. Louis, MO
    This may be a dumb question and I just can't brain today ... do I have to worry about interspecies breeding if I end up getting a male of a different kind? I know birds do that and usually it's female mate choice in birds, I just want to make sure so I don't end up with babies all over the place.

9. Miss Lydia

Only way your going to get ducklings is if you let your female sit on a clutch of eggs or you buy an incubator and do it yourself. They will mate but just take up her eggs everyday best contraceptive there is. I’d def only get a drake if you also get another female two females are much better for 1 drake than a lone female who may get abused from so much mating.

10. quackiemama

quackiemama Crowing

Dec 26, 2018
    MARYLAND
    I am sorry about your baby! You have been given great advice from all above. I have a Rouen drake, rouen hen, runner hens and now 3 young pekin hens. I just take up the eggs everyday and we have no issues.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: