Backyardbasic

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2021
My duckling who just turned 1 months has been wheezing since earlier today, we were outside for a few hours and he was fine but after being back inside for awhile I noticed the noise. He’s had 2 baths in the tub in case anything was blocking his nose and when I look I don’t seem to see anything. He’s making it pretty consistently so I’m getting worried.

Could you take a video of the wheezing, upload it to a video platform such as youtube, and copy/paste the link here?
What is the temperature in the duckling's pen?
Besides the wheezing, is the duckling acting ok?

Could you take a video of the wheezing, upload it to a video platform such as youtube, and copy/paste the link here?
What is the temperature in the duckling's pen?
Besides the wheezing, is the duckling acting ok?
yeah I’ll try and do that, it was fine all day yesterday and then it started again sometime after midnight last night. He’s almost fully feathered and the rooms he stay in is warm enough so I haven’t been using the heat lamp. But other than the wheezing he’s basically acting the same, it calms down once he’s in the tub.

I can appreciate the acute dyspnea you're noticing - unlink panting, it appears the bird is having a hard time getting air into its system. This could be due to several things, and without a veterinarian, it is hard to determine exactly what might be the problem. With young animals, ingestion of foreign material can be common which can result in inhalation of the material into the airways which can obstruct the breathing airways.

Such as case may be identified by opening the duckling's mouth and checking for foreign matter in the nares, glottis, or choanal slit, and by palpating along the duckling's neck for abnormalities. If you have access to a stethoscope, place the diaphragm on the bird's dorsal aspect, and auscultate for abnormal sounds (clicking, rattle breathing, etc).

Respiratory infections can be a problem in young birds, but if that were the case I would suspect a more routine and consistent display of the symptoms, as well as additional symptoms such as sneezing, or coughing. Since the wheezing is sporadic it may be an environmental problem at play, lack of deep water, etc.

Ensure the duckling has adequate deep water throughout the day, bedding/feed free of dust, and an environment free of pollutants (hair sprays, smoke, etc.

I can appreciate the acute dyspnea you're noticing - unlink panting, it appears the bird is having a hard time getting air into its system. This could be due to several things, and without a veterinarian, it is hard to determine exactly what might be the problem. With young animals, ingestion of foreign material can be common which can result in inhalation of the material into the airways which can obstruct the breathing airways.

Such as case may be identified by opening the duckling's mouth and checking for foreign matter in the nares, glottis, or choanal slit, and by palpating along the duckling's neck for abnormalities. If you have access to a stethoscope, place the diaphragm on the bird's dorsal aspect, and auscultate for abnormal sounds (clicking, rattle breathing, etc).

Respiratory infections can be a problem in young birds, but if that were the case I would suspect a more routine and consistent display of the symptoms, as well as additional symptoms such as sneezing, or coughing. Since the wheezing is sporadic it may be an environmental problem at play, lack of deep water, etc.

Ensure the duckling has adequate deep water throughout the day, bedding/feed free of dust, and an environment free of pollutants (hair sprays, smoke, etc.
He has sneezed I believe here and there, I’m not sure if it’s related but he also has watery poop that looks green. Can they easily get respiratory issues? And have them come on so fast? Sorry for the extra questions. We’ve had ducks/chickens forever but never had these issues!

Back
Top Bottom