Duckling kicking leg back while walking

Blob Chicken

Songster
10 Years
Nov 2, 2009
Hey everyone, I have a 3 week old muscovy duckling who is kicking one of her legs back when she walks. I just noticed this tonight. Her mobility is fine and she doesn't seem to be favoring either leg, but her one leg she just kicks back as she steps periodically??

Is this something I should be worried about, or might she just have a sore leg tonight?

Also to note, I used aspen shavings tonight instead of the usual pine shavings for her, if that might make a difference.

Hey everyone, I have a 3 week old muscovy duckling who is kicking one of her legs back when she walks. I just noticed this tonight. Her mobility is fine and she doesn't seem to be favoring either leg, but her one leg she just kicks back as she steps periodically??

Is this something I should be worried about, or might she just have a sore leg tonight?

Also to note, I used aspen shavings tonight instead of the usual pine shavings for her, if that might make a difference.

Did she have something stuck to the bottom of her foot? If they step on something that sticks to it, they'll walk odd and periodically kick their foot out or shake it...

My Pekin got into the tree sap on a spruce tree...She had grass stuck to her foot and kept kicking her foot back too..Also she had sap on her bill so kept opening and closing her Bill...Like having a mouthful of peanut butter...It took her three days to wash off and groom all that sap...She now stays away from that tree....:lau

My Pekin got into the tree sap on a spruce tree...She had grass stuck to her foot and kept kicking her foot back too..Also she had sap on her bill so kept opening and closing her Bill...Like having a mouthful of peanut butter...It took her three days to wash off and groom all that sap...She now stays away from that tree....:lau
Lol poor duck!

Haha, poor sappy duck indeed!

Well, my girl doesn't have anything on her feet, and she is still kicking back her one foot, however I think I can put two and two together.

She took a little tumble a few days ago (got a little excited while I was taking her for a swim, she jumped from my hands onto the ground, so about a 4.5 foot fall) and landed pretty hard on her feet. I think she might have caused a little bit of soft tissue damage, as she does show a pain response when I gently squeeze her one foot, but it doesn't affect her mobility or desire to move at all. A little rest and hopefully she'll stop kicking it out in no time at all :)

Haha, poor sappy duck indeed!

Well, my girl doesn't have anything on her feet, and she is still kicking back her one foot, however I think I can put two and two together.

She took a little tumble a few days ago (got a little excited while I was taking her for a swim, she jumped from my hands onto the ground, so about a 4.5 foot fall) and landed pretty hard on her feet. I think she might have caused a little bit of soft tissue damage, as she does show a pain response when I gently squeeze her one foot, but it doesn't affect her mobility or desire to move at all. A little rest and hopefully she'll stop kicking it out in no time at all :)

Sounds like a sprain... hydrotherapy works wonders... along with soaking her foot/leg in warm epsom salt water (just don't let her drink it, it's a laxative)... she should be fine soon... :)

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
She goes for a swim at least once a day, so that should help! We'll see how she feels about a foot soak, as you can see from the first picture shes's a little sassy, lol.

Back
Top Bottom