Duckling Niacin Issue! Help!

LuckyJennaBean

Hatching
Mar 26, 2017
Hello, I have 2 3 week old Buff Ducklings who have been having some bow legged symptoms and I immediately suspected a niacin deficiency. I've been feeding them Purina Flock Raiser, which I've used on at least 10 ducklings in the past with absolutely no problems. I went to the bag to see how much niacin is in the feed to give me an idea of how much to supplement with, and much to my shock found that there is NO niacin listed in the ingredients...like at all. None. Searching online, it looks like the guaranteed analysis does say 0mg/kg of Niacin on their website.

Is this new?!? I've never ever had problems before and I searched all over the place to see if anyone else had posted anything similar but could only find posts about supplementing chick starter. It literally says on the bag that it's a complete feed for ducklings. How can it possibly be a complete feed for ducklings with NO Niacin?!? Thanks for reading and hopefully someone can set my worried ducky mommy mind at ease. I'm worried my babies might be too far gone.

Shame on me for not double/triple checking the ingredients. I've just never had this issue before with what I thought was the same feed. :(

I'm including a link to their live feed since I can't figure out how to add a video. Sometimes they stand up just fine sometimes they walk on their whole leg. I'm so upset that I didn't catch this sooner and absolutely worried sick. I've added Niacin to their water (hence why it's an odd color) but worried I may have been too late.

https://video.nest.com/live/ngmbaitLLf

I'm including a link to their live feed since I can't figure out how to add a video. Sometimes they stand up just fine sometimes they walk on their whole leg. I'm so upset that I didn't catch this sooner and absolutely worried sick. I've added Niacin to their water (hence why it's an odd color) but worried I may have been too late.

https://video.nest.com/live/ngmbaitLLf
@LuckyJennaBean i don't think it's too late but they dif need a different water container something they can dunk their heads into so they can keep their eyes and nares washed out.

Make sure the niacin is not flush free or time released too. 150mgs per gallon of water daily. a small bucket with a lid and a hole cut out of the top or side so they can get their heads in to drink but can't climb in will work or a large milk jug.

I use to feed Flock raiser and never had any problems with the feed with my ducklings and gosling but I used Nutritional yeast as the extra niacin supplement. Just to make sure they were getting enough.

Your lil ones are precious I have 2 buff females and love those girls!

Last edited:
They seem to be a bit quicker and easier to get to their feet today so I'm feeling a lot better. Thank you Miss Lydia! I will definitely take your advice on their water and supplementing them. I'm still shocked that the Flock Raiser has no Niacin in it, but I guess that's one of those hard lessons learned that seem to happen on the Homestead (this I'm hoping has a better outcome than the racoon lesson we learned last year :-( ). At least I've learned not to take anyone's (including Purina) word that something is a complete feed without checking myself.

Thank you guys so much for your quick responses. I'm glad I decided to make an account and just post instead of trying to find answers in years old posts!

Also, do you think it would help to try to have them swim around a bit? Warm water? I don't want to overtax them if they're already not feeling well.

I feel like such a newbie to this. I suppose I've always just been super lucky with my ducks in the past. Never had any problems except for our first duck Peanut who has an uncanny ability to find himself in the wrong place at the wrong time. He's been attacked by dogs twice, raccoons twice (last one took his right eye out, poor thing) and had to have the vet sew his "butt glove" back on after he decided to try to "fly" (flop) into a barbed wire fence.

I swear he has 7 lives like a cat. But he still bosses everybody around and runs the joint! :lol: He's the one in my profile pic checking out the babies.

Also, do you think it would help to try to have them swim around a bit? Warm water? I don't want to overtax them if they're already not feeling well.

I feel like such a newbie to this. I suppose I've always just been super lucky with my ducks in the past. Never had any problems except for our first duck Peanut who has an uncanny ability to find himself in the wrong place at the wrong time. He's been attacked by dogs twice, raccoons twice (last one took his right eye out, poor thing) and had to have the vet sew his "butt glove" back on after he decided to try to "fly" (flop) into a barbed wire fence.

I swear he has 7 lives like a cat. But he still bosses everybody around and runs the joint!
lol.png
He's the one in my profile pic checking out the babies.
I love your avatar. Bless Peanuts heart he is amazing for sure.

Yes swimming in warm water will help strengthen their legs just start with water up to tops of their legs then gradually making it deeper [5 minutes to start with]as long as water is still warm. just be sure to stay with them in case they tire out fast but I bet they will have a blast. And you will too. Then it pat dry and back under warm heat till dry.

Back
Top Bottom