Duckling with big leg gap?

It does look quite stocky compared to other GC pics that I just looked at and its baby wings are disproportionate to its body. Obviously some sort of genetic defect.
When you say twice the size, you mean bigger right?
That is really weird. He doesn't even have feathers yet. Were did she get theses ducklings? Sure their the same age?

It does look quite stocky compared to other GC pics that I just looked at and its baby wings are disproportionate to its body. Obviously some sort of genetic defect.
When you say twice the size, you mean bigger right?
Yeah I meant the siblings are twice as big as it. I figured it was a genetic defect, but hoping it is recoverable.

That doesn't' look to concerning. I think its alright.
Any ideas why his siblings are so much bigger?
Ps. That ground looks really heard and rocky. Rocky ground will cause re-occurign bumble foot in heavy breeds, and isn't good for their feet. It would be best to cover that ground with hard wood, or fine screened mulch to make it softer. Unless the owner would rather deal with repeated bumble foot treatments. I feel her pain.
I will go ahead and let her know. I didn’t even think about the ground!

Are the other ducklings pictured with it its hatch mates?
Yes. The other duckling is it’s sibling. One day older. I’m not sure about the duck in the bottom right of this photo. Looks like she added another one to the flock. It’s sibling is the bigger one in the other photo.
60AAEA06-5EA4-4576-833E-424B21FA3900.jpeg

Last edited:
My same question. If he's the same age I'de be concerned about malnutrition, or sometime causing a stunt in growth.
They’re the same age because I was the one that originally gave them to her. During the time they were closer to the same size, then the “dwarf” ones growth started coming in slow. I also had to help it out of its egg when it was trying to hatch, too, or we would have lost it. Was hoping it wouldn’t still be stunted at this point, but is.

They’re the same age because I was the one that originally gave them to her. During the time they were closer to the same size, then the “dwarf” ones growth started coming in slow. I also had to help it out of its egg when it was trying to hatch, too, or we would have lost it. Was hoping it wouldn’t still be stunted at this point, but is.
Do its siblings have feathers? If its not growing feathers I'de start to become concerned. @Miss Lydia @Isaac 0

Was it an assisted hatch? I would also recommend to them to start supplementing with extra niacin to help with proper development. I would go straight to a liquid B3.
Yes it was assisted. I’ll let them know about the B3. They did end up getting brewer’s yeast, but the little gal might need a bigger boost.

Back
Top Bottom