Ducks healthy in winter? Help!

morganurban

In the Brooder
May 30, 2018
Ohio
Winter is still a few months away, but this is my first time having ducks during the cold months. I live in Ohio, the coldest it gets is about -5° on bad days. Is it safe to keep my ducks outside in their coop/run? Should I change their diet? Any tips? I have just the two ducks and want to make sure they’re safe and healthy through the cold months.

Corn is fine for over night heat. Just don't over do. It can make them fat, but in winter having a few extra calories is good. Other than that just feeding a good balanced feed and making sure they have plenty of water I use heated buckets here since the water can freeze pretty quick. Also give them options of going inside their coop if they want.

Mine do not get food or water inside though ice skating can happen over night. With the water that ends up on the floor.

Make sure they have deep dry bedding to sleep in. I definitely pile in the straw in the duck house deeper in the winter.

Make sure they have a good wind block. At my house the prevailing winds come from a different direction in winter than summer, so just be conscious of where your wind comes from and that your birds have a place that is sheltered from it.

Make sure they have thawed water. This can be done in any number of ways, but basically, check on them a few times a day and bring fresh water if needed. I've had the heat element go out in a heated waterer before, or the birds tip over and spill the entire waterer somehow. I definitely check on them a bit more often in winter just to be sure.

Ducks do quite well in the cold. I live in a cold climate where it can freeze any night of the year and my ducks fare better than my chickens. I wish I'd started with ducks, I might not have even gotten chickens (not that I don't love the little buggers).

I sometimes dump the dirty water bucket down the toilet in the winter so I'm not creating a skating rink outside or clogging my drains inside.

Honestly they will be just fine. Don't worry too much ;)

Make sure they have deep dry bedding to sleep in. I definitely pile in the straw in the duck house deeper in the winter.

Make sure they have a good wind block. At my house the prevailing winds come from a different direction in winter than summer, so just be conscious of where your wind comes from and that your birds have a place that is sheltered from it.

Make sure they have thawed water. This can be done in any number of ways, but basically, check on them a few times a day and bring fresh water if needed. I've had the heat element go out in a heated waterer before, or the birds tip over and spill the entire waterer somehow. I definitely check on them a bit more often in winter just to be sure.

Ducks do quite well in the cold. I live in a cold climate where it can freeze any night of the year and my ducks fare better than my chickens. I wish I'd started with ducks, I might not have even gotten chickens (not that I don't love the little buggers).

I sometimes dump the dirty water bucket down the toilet in the winter so I'm not creating a skating rink outside or clogging my drains inside.

Honestly they will be just fine. Don't worry too much ;)
Thanks so much, this will help a lot! Just want to make sure my babies are safe and happy all year round! :)

Not all my Runners are cold hardy.

Long story short, several of them did not thrive below 35F. I moved them to a shelter that remains above 40F. My original flock is now 8.5 years old, they are still healthy and robust. The go outdoors in the cold, down to about 15 F, but not for hours at a time. I watch them. When they display signs they are getting too cold, I get them in.

We have about 150 square feet in the night pen for 16 ducks that range in size from 2 to 5 pounds. So when we must keep them in for days at a time due to extreme weather, they are not too cramped for space.

Ducks are individuals. There are relatively few things that, based on my experience, that I would say about all ducks. It all depends.....on their size, general health, history, environment. Observe and adjust, is what I aim for.

The way I monitored their first night pen was by getting an indoor-outdoor thermometer and setting it up so that I did not have to open the door to the shelter to check the temperature inside. Two ducks....might not be able to keep themselves warm enough, though it is possible. You may want to consider a temporary “duck storm shelter” where you can move them. Temperatures can drop well below normal at times. Plan on extremes. If it does not happen, great. But if it does, you will not have to scramble or worry.

Back
Top Bottom