Ducks in a pot

Duckduckgooses

In the Brooder
Jan 2, 2021
Miraculously our ducklings are hatching! However the mom laid the ducklings in a big pot & the babies will not be able to get out. Does anyone have any ideas on what to do ?

Attachments

• E4FEDA85-1967-4B86-ADC4-5CCF4F7B99F5.jpeg
    E4FEDA85-1967-4B86-ADC4-5CCF4F7B99F5.jpeg
    656.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 5FDB4B8B-B3DC-4F56-89ED-9916AFC7FCDE.jpeg
    5FDB4B8B-B3DC-4F56-89ED-9916AFC7FCDE.jpeg
    659.8 KB · Views: 10
I only know about chickens, but for chickens, yes, the mom will sit over the chicks. She's not actually sitting on them, just crouching over them to keep them warm.
I have a orpington chicken, and it's actually kind of cool how many she can fit under her (15!!!).

My best suggestion is make a nest somewhere and at night, move them. How much does the mother trust you?

I only know about chickens, but for chickens, yes, the mom will sit over the chicks. She's not actually sitting on them, just crouching over them to keep them warm.
I have a orpington chicken, and it's actually kind of cool how many she can fit under her (15!!!).

My best suggestion is make a nest somewhere and at night, move them. How much does the mother trust you?

Unfortunately not much she showed up out of no where we put a water cup in there because I read they don’t eat the first 24 hours but do need water. We were trying to build a coop but because we didn’t think they were hatching never finished.

Unfortunately not much she showed up out of no where we put a water cup in there because I read they don’t eat the first 24 hours but do need water. We were trying to build a coop but because we didn’t think they were hatching never finished.
She will find a way to get the babies to once they are ready. Make sure there is duckling food and water in there for them, but they can go with out food for a few days. Don't feed the babies adult duck food! It contains to much calcium, and will hurt them!

She will find a way to get the babies to once they are ready. Make sure there is duckling food and water in there for them, but they can go with out food for a few days. Don't feed the babies adult duck food! It contains to much calcium, and will hurt them!
Thank you I appreciate it :)

Thank you I appreciate it :)
Do you have a coop? Were is the pot? If the pot isn't secure or in a predator proof area, a predator could easily come in the night and kill momma and babies right out of the pot. If you have a predator proof coop, move momma and her babies to there, if you don't maybe you can set something up in your house in a dog kennel, were they will be safe.

something predator-proof would be the absolute best option. If not, I'd at least move the pot onto the grass, that's a big drop onto the tile for a baby bird. They dont NEED to get out of the pot for the first few days but it looks like shes got quite a few more eggs to go, its gonna get a little crowded if they all hatch. I'd also be concerned that if she did get the hatchlings out before shes done with the rest of the eggs, she cant get them back IN and she'll wind up having to abandon one or the other. I'd try to move them all out, but not having a safe space to move them TO kinda makes it just as bad as leaving them.

Back
Top Bottom