Ducks were brutally attacked. PLEASE HELP.

RusticGal

In the Brooder
May 20, 2016
MO
My three beautiful ducks were attacked the night before last. They were all hurt. My Khaki Campbell was killed, leaving my Rouen and Pekin left with injuries and both very traumatized.
My Pekin is acting pretty normal considering the mess. The Rouen on the other hand... we do not think she will be alive in the morning. It's hard to tell what exactly is wrong but we are all ready for the worst news.

That leaves me with one Pekin. Only a little over a month old. She is already experienced so much loss that I am worried for her future. How can make this better?? She will be so lonely and I don't know what I would do if I lost her as well. This has been a terrible couple of days for our family.
Do I need to look for a companion for her? a duck her age or a baby? She is not in her pen and I don't know if or when i will be able to put her back. I am uncomfortable leaving her and my very sick, weak, nearly dead Rouen.
Please give me something to work with.. i am at a total loss and very upset that my ducks have gone through this. They were 100% a part of our family.

So sorry for your loss!!!

I would definitely look for a companion or 2 for her if she is going to be alone... anything younger than her should work, it sounds like it will be a while before she recovers so that would be a good time to keep some younger ones close enough to get to know each other...

But first, please secure your duck house/brooder from any more predators... would be more awful for it to happen twice...

Yes, security is most important now - predators return.

An unbreakable mirror can sometimes help. As well as time spent talking to her or singing to her. You may want to put electrolytes in the water to help her recover.

Any injuries ? Under the wings, around the vent?

So the rouen died. I now just have my one baby girl.

She is now incredibly attached to me.. which i figured would happen.
So her eye seems to be getting better. When the attack first happened she looked like she had bite marks on het head. Her eye was swollen shut and now its starting to get better.
Thank you everyone. She is in good spirits despite the tragedy.

So the rouen died. I now just have my one baby girl.

She is now incredibly attached to me.. which i figured would happen.
So her eye seems to be getting better. When the attack first happened she looked like she had bite marks on het head. Her eye was swollen shut and now its starting to get better.
Thank you everyone. She is in good spirits despite the tragedy.
Very sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

Great to hear your Pekin is recovering.

I do think she is lonely. I spend as much time as i can with her but nights are the worst. I am definitely considering getting her a friend but i am unable to find her just one. I can order from the hatchery but i will have to buy three day olds. I dont know if i have enough room for for ducks once they are all adults.

So sorry for your loss!!!

I would definitely look for a companion or 2 for her if she is going to be alone... anything younger than her should work, it sounds like it will be a while before she recovers so that would be a good time to keep some younger ones close enough to get to know each other...

But first, please secure your duck house/brooder from any more predators... would be more awful for it to happen twice...

We have completely moved the chicken and duck house. It has been totally redone and its taken the better part of three days. There is a seperate area for the ducks as well which we are also doing over. This attack happened the very first night that they were outside. :( they were only 6 weeks old.
Hopefully with the move and redoing the house, it will be safe. I still dont know if i will trust it enough to send her back out there. I am pretty traumatized too.

We have completely moved the chicken and duck house. It has been totally redone and its taken the better part of three days. There is a seperate area for the ducks as well which we are also doing over. This attack happened the very first night that they were outside.
sad.png
they were only 6 weeks old.
Hopefully with the move and redoing the house, it will be safe. I still dont know if i will trust it enough to send her back out there. I am pretty traumatized too.
I'm sure you are. Best thing is to have them in secure housing at night with good ventilation, if they can't be supervised during the day and you don't have fencing then a nice size pen will work but it will have to be made so no pred can dig under or climb over or fly in.

Try looking on craigs list for ducks you may find one or 2 there. Newly hatched ducklings wouldn't be able to go in with 6 week old duckling, too big a difference in size.

Do you have any idea what the pred was? and how it got in?

I'm sure you are. Best thing is to have them in secure housing at night with good ventilation, if they can't be supervised during the day and you don't have fencing then a nice size pen will work but it will have to be made so no pred can dig under or climb over or fly in.

Try looking on craigs list for ducks you may find one or 2 there. Newly hatched ducklings wouldn't be able to go in with 6 week old duckling, too big a difference in size.

Do you have any idea what the pred was? and how it got in?
I have looked in my area for an older duck but i may need to broaden my search to a few different locations.
during the day she is fine. We have her in a fenced in area with her pool, food, and water. Plus there are eyes on her almost constantly.

Back
Top Bottom