Early breeding?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Matieus27, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Matieus27

Matieus27 Songster

Oct 13, 2018
    Owasso, OK
    So I was outside watching the chickens like I normally do and something strange happened one of my known roosters went up to an suspected pullet suspected pullet squatted rooster climbed on top. Now these chickens are not laying yet so is this just practice breeding what are my chickens doing?

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Cockerels are ALWAYS ready before the hens/pullets. And yes they are better at sensing the females than we are.

3. Matieus27

Matieus27 Songster

Oct 13, 2018
    Owasso, OK
    Does this mean I’ll have eggs sooner that I thought or are the boys just ready and waiting lol

LlamaGirl4 likes this.
  4. NoFlyBackFarm

NoFlyBackFarm Crowing

Aug 6, 2018
    Pilesgrove, New Jersey
    X2

LlamaGirl4 and JedJackson like this.
  5. Matieus27

Matieus27 Songster

Oct 13, 2018
    Owasso, OK
    Because I am sure they are 2 to 3 months from laying

JedJackson likes this.
  6. JedJackson

JedJackson Free Ranging

Jul 6, 2016
    NW Washington state
    It's perfectly normal, and yes, it is mating. The fact that the pullet was squatting means she is ready to mate and will probably be laying soon.

sourland, andreanar and Matieus27 like this.
  7. JedJackson

JedJackson Free Ranging

Jul 6, 2016
    NW Washington state
    It's nothing to worry about, unless the rooster is huge and the pullet is tiny. But it sounds like it has been happening with no ill effects for a while now. The age difference may be disturbing to us, but for chickens it is natural.

8. Matieus27

Matieus27 Songster

Oct 13, 2018
    Owasso, OK
    This actually makes me super eggcited but I don’t have her a nest yet I guess I better get one made and put in there for her

JedJackson and NoFlyBackFarm like this.
  9. rebrascora

rebrascora Free Ranging

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    How old are your "roosters" and how many males and females do you have. If they are just approaching sexual maturity, the dynamics of your flock are probably about to change quite rapidly and probably not for the better. Too many adolescent males can make for a lot of stress on the girls. Whilst this girl is obviously cooperating and inviting the rooster to mate her, there is a possibility that she will get severely over mated if you have more than one cockerel in the flock.

Bonniebooboo, sourland, aart and 4 others like this.
  10. JedJackson

JedJackson Free Ranging

Jul 6, 2016
    NW Washington state
    Yes, definitely get a nest box. They are easy to make from scrap lumber, you can by them ready made, or you can get creative. If you have an old pet carrier, you can use one of those, too. Just remember to put in hay or wood shavings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: