early signs of being a roo?

Is it normal for chicks to develop different comb shapes for a mix breed? One has a single comb and the other has a pea comb.
i believe that it’s because they come from two different breeds. rooster was a silkie and hen was a frizzled cochin, so he must have got the single comb from the hen- i’m not 100% sure how it works, i’m new to all this

I only ask cause I was wondering what my Wyandotte chicks would look like after mating with a Swedish Flower rooster. I didn't think about the comb differences in the chicks. But thank you for your thoughts.

I only ask cause I was wondering what my Wyandotte chicks would look like after mating with a Swedish Flower rooster. I didn't think about the comb differences in the chicks. But thank you for your thoughts.

If the Wyandotte has a rose comb, and the Swedish Flower has a single comb, then it depends a little on the genetics of the Wyandotte in question--some Wyandottes produce all rose comb chicks, other produce half single comb chicks when bred to a single comb chicken.

More technical way to put it: rose comb is caused by one gene, and is dominant. So you can't tell by looking whether a chicken with rose comb carries the not-rose gene or not.

the babies are growing up so fast 😔
B3E7E94B-D593-43FF-A698-F3C6107C0692.png

I've got 9 and 12 week old silkie mixes and none of the boys are trying to crow yet!! The older ones have just found their broken clucky voices this week.

7 weeks is amazing!

Back
Top Bottom