Earthen Acres Homestead: First mixed laying flock

Pics

Tre3hugger

Let Your Freak Flag Fly
Mar 21, 2020
NW Massachusetts
Hey everyone. My partner and I have a fairly new 5 acre homestead in New England and have recently added 10 birds, 9 pullets and a cockerel, to our growing self sufficiency. I am already completely smitten with them, and people in real life are tired of hearing about them! lol Figured I'd share my journey here, and some adorable pics of course. I think I will profile a bird each day, along with some thoughts or chicken anecdotes. Please feel free to add relatable pics or comments, and thank you so much for your interest! Let's start with the lovely Jewel. 20200327_162932.jpg 20200327_162929.jpg 20200327_162802.jpg
Jewel is most likely a speckled Sussex, and averages about 5 large brown eggs a week. She is confident and curious, with an even docile temperament. Definitely our biggest girl, she seems least likely to fly the coop, but can really run fast when the treats are flying! She is one of the prettiest birds I have ever seen and I am so glad to have her here. Thank you for reading, enjoy!

Love it! Speckled sussex are such a cool breed to have! I have one now named Maren. How do you tell yours apart?
Thanks! Yea she is super chill and pretty. Umm I only have 1 or two of each breed so after a few days hanging out with them, and giving them all names, they are easy distinguishable by their markings. Some other breeds I have are a barred rock, cpl of gold sex links, silver laced Wyandotte,white leghorn, and flowery leghorn. Maren is a cool name.

Good morning mother cluckers. It's a warm but rainy day here in New England. Yesterday I built an enrichment jungle gym for my flock. Last week I bult them a swing(an old broom handle hung with wire) but they don't seem to get it. So to fight boredom for them, I built a jungle gym(a few logs stacked at weird angles off the ground). Low and behold, they love it! Their favorite part seems to be finding the highest point, fluffing up, and just kind of singing. It's quite poigant and silly and beautiful. Here's a couple pics of the jungle gym, and the girls seeming to enjoy it. IMG_20200327_171555_265.jpg
IMG_20200327_171555_262.jpg
Anyone do anything similiar for their birds? Did they use it? How bout a swing??

Good morning mother cluckers. It's a warm but rainy day here in New England. Yesterday I built an enrichment jungle gym for my flock. Last week I bult them a swing(an old broom handle hung with wire) but they don't seem to get it. So to fight boredom for them, I built a jungle gym(a few logs stacked at weird angles off the ground). Low and behold, they love it! Their favorite part seems to be finding the highest point, fluffing up, and just kind of singing. It's quite poigant and silly and beautiful. Here's a couple pics of the jungle gym, and the girls seeming to enjoy it.View attachment 2066384
View attachment 2066385
Anyone do anything similiar for their birds? Did they use it? How bout a swing??
My understanding is that if they don't start swinging as young pullets they never do. I have now raised 3 batches of pullets with the swing in my run. No one has ever used it. I believe I am going to take it down.

Next up i'd like to introduce Sylvia! I think Sylvia is a 55 flowery leghorn. She produces large white eggs almost everyday. She is a bit reserved, and slow to trust, but docile as can be. She has a repertoire of "i just laid an egg" songs, and belts them out from the highest point she can find without abandon. Despite being one of my smaller girls, Sylvia's comb is one of the biggest, and a beautiful red color. Thank you for reading. What kind of leghorns do oyu guys have? 20200327_162730.jpg
20200327_162733.jpg
20200327_163315.jpg
IMG_20200327_171555_265.jpg

Back
Top Bottom