East RIver - South Dakota

Hello East River! I am also from the Sioux Falls area. We have an acreage just off the Renner/Crooks exit. We have had chickens for about a year now and have added a pair of yearling India Blue peacocks, two rabbits and two baby mallard ducks. Currently we have 3 buff orpingtons, a rhode island red, 5 polish chickens, 2 americaunas, 3 bantams, Harry one of our roosters, which is a mix of some sort (he is just beautiful), and 3 of his daughters that are mixed with an easter egger(mama is gone now), 1 silkie rooster, 16 3month old silkies (there's a story there), and 6 3 week old babies we hatched. It is so much fun. We are going to the live auction this weekend at Kramer's to see what we can get ourselves into next. So glad I found this site!
wee.gif

Hello East River! I am also from the Sioux Falls area. We have an acreage just off the Renner/Crooks exit. We have had chickens for about a year now and have added a pair of yearling India Blue peacocks, two rabbits and two baby mallard ducks. Currently we have 3 buff orpingtons, a rhode island red, 5 polish chickens, 2 americaunas, 3 bantams, Harry one of our roosters, which is a mix of some sort (he is just beautiful), and 3 of his daughters that are mixed with an easter egger(mama is gone now), 1 silkie rooster, 16 3month old silkies (there's a story there), and 6 3 week old babies we hatched. It is so much fun. We are going to the live auction this weekend at Kramer's to see what we can get ourselves into next. So glad I found this site!
wee.gif

Glad you found us! KRAMER'S I wish I could go, but this weekend we're moving back to the gallery house! I've wanted to go to Kramer's since I learned about it. Its cool to finally be mapping out where our feather-hobbyists are in east river! I'm up near Brookings. You familiar with Bushnell? Anyhow, that's where I am at. I'm going today to pick up some more Buff Orpingtons and some Black Australorp chicks.

We're holding a Sustainability Fair this fall, FIRST one in So. Dakota it seems. But hopefully with a good support of some of our Ag suppliers and orgs it will turn out well and everyone will have a great time.

You had silkies long? This is the first year I've tried silkies. I've got them in a coop with a wire roof since everyone up this way says they've lost their bantams to redtail hawks...and I'd rather not have that happen. My first year with Bantams of any kind. Got a variety of them in the brooder right now.

What sort of rabbits you raising? I was looking at getting some meat rabbits, but so far haven't found anyone close enough to purchase from. Bummer too. With gas prices its just not logical to go 120+ round trip miles just to buy a $12 - $25 rabbit. So I keep waiting and watching.

Anyhow, glad you found us here in East River thread!

Anisah (in Bushnell)

I am definitely interested in Americaunas! We just bought two hens about 3 weeks ago and they are just a part of the possy now! They have a great sized egg and we love the color. Are they still available? How much are they asking?
Sorry I should've introduced myself, I tried to post an intro, but the computer froze and I lost it. We have an acreage right off the Renner/Crooks exit and started having chickens about a year ago. We have 20 adults, 16 3month old silkies, and 6 new hatchlings. We also have two baby ducks, a pair of yearling peacocks, and two rabbits, and one cat at the farm.

I guess my post did go through. Ansiah, our chickens are all free range we just have to close the big door at night for one of my bantams and my silkies because they cant get up to the landing to go inside like the rest of the chickens. We have buff, partridge, and white silkies.

We have been going to Kramer's since December. It is a lot of fun. I know where Bushnell is, Al loves going there to the quaint little bar in town.
hmm.png

I just got two rabbits cuz my son's girlfriend had never held one. We have an American Fuzzy mini-lop (Pudgy) and black lion head. We were thinking of taking the lion head back to auction. They were both supposed to be girls, but when we put them together we found out very quickly that pudgy is a boy! I call the lion head frenchy and she was just born in the end of Jan. so she was just a baby when we got her. Maybe we should try for babies first- they would be adorable.
What is a sustainability fair?

My ducks (they think they are mallards) are about 4-5 weeks old and I can't tell if they are girls or boys. Are there any suggestions?

I have 16 3 month old silkies and need to share some with someone else. We will sell them at our cost of $6 a piece. They are really coming into their own and are such a joy to watch. Just let me know. We are at the Renner/Crooks exit.

Kirsten

If you still have silkies I might be interested in couple. I am in Sioux Falls, so I can only have hens, and my coop isn't quite finished (will be doing that this weekend) but my son has been begging for a "punk rock chicken", and my husband got distracted and added an extra 8 square feet to my coop, which means I have space.

I guess my post did go through. Ansiah, our chickens are all free range we just have to close the big door at night for one of my bantams and my silkies because they cant get up to the landing to go inside like the rest of the chickens. We have buff, partridge, and white silkies.

We have been going to Kramer's since December. It is a lot of fun. I know where Bushnell is, Al loves going there to the quaint little bar in town.
hmm.png

I just got two rabbits cuz my son's girlfriend had never held one. We have an American Fuzzy mini-lop (Pudgy) and black lion head. We were thinking of taking the lion head back to auction. They were both supposed to be girls, but when we put them together we found out very quickly that pudgy is a boy! I call the lion head frenchy and she was just born in the end of Jan. so she was just a baby when we got her. Maybe we should try for babies first- they would be adorable.
What is a sustainability fair?

One of our Houses is across from the bar. We are going to be renting it to a friend as of June 1st. So I'm moving currently to our Gallery house, down the street. Its across from Dakota Stoneware Pottery. Its the old Bushnell hotel.

As for the sustainability Fair. Its basically a collections of skills and workshops and concepts brought together by different people to show how one can be more sustainable. For example.... reducing one's Carbon footprint. Growing a garden for home production & sales (if they wanted to sell); raising and butchering poultry; making jerky; making homemade yogurt; Canning; Making a solar Dehydrator, etc

Its sorta todays version of "Homesteading skills". Its part of the observance of the International Homesteading Education Month promoted by Mother Earth News. Our Sustainability fair's theme this year is "Stocking up". We are having the event at the Bushnell town hall which is a quaint old hall with the "traditional" plumbing (none, but an outhouse -- porta potty -- out back).

We are talking to Dakota Rural Action to see about having some of their people Demo-ing. We've got two different presenters willing to do things on canning. I've also got someone willing to teach how to make yogurt with a slow cooker. Runnings is open to considering participating. But we're still working to get more projects and presenters. I'd love to get someone to present about Heritage Bird breeds suitable for our climate or similar topics.

Anisah

If you still have silkies I might be interested in couple. I am in Sioux Falls, so I can only have hens, and my coop isn't quite finished (will be doing that this weekend) but my son has been begging for a "punk rock chicken", and my husband got distracted and added an extra 8 square feet to my coop, which means I have space.

Magpie, who was this comment meant for?

Cancel that question... I finally figured it out
duc.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom