Easter Egger crosses and sex-linking

Jsawa

In the Brooder
May 12, 2020
Recently hatched 19 eggs. Easter egger rooster with Speckled Sussex, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Buff Orpington, Barred Rock and Light Brown Leghorn hens. From what I understand the barred rock is sex-linked? White dot on head means Rooster, right? Are any of these other breeds sexlinked?

Also, does anyone have good resources for rehoming roosters?

Attachments

• B002B51E-F5F8-46C6-9A73-CE53B1CC340C.jpeg
    B002B51E-F5F8-46C6-9A73-CE53B1CC340C.jpeg
    596.3 KB · Views: 123
  • E0481D90-4EA5-487D-A920-D1956DAF8730.jpeg
    E0481D90-4EA5-487D-A920-D1956DAF8730.jpeg
    625.4 KB · Views: 62
If you cross a barred mother with a non-barred father, then all the male chicks will be barred. I only see one barred male in your photo.
None of the other mixes will be sex-linked.
For rehoming roosters, you can try on here, facebook, craigslist, farms, sanctuaries, shelters, Adopt-A-Pet, and Petfinder.

I have some similarly mixed chicks that are about 7 weeks old right now. Not sure who is from what hen, but a primarily white EE roo over Wyandotte, speckled sussex, buff Orpington, and EE hens (labeled as Americana at the feed store, just an EE though).
D9544C4B-1BCA-4F1A-9393-DB82E7903B8B.jpeg

roo
CD4BCC10-24E6-4334-B843-45045CF8408A.jpeg

Roo
4206E7F3-C84F-43E7-BEF5-0C2A6BDA9AD2.jpeg

Roo
31C52D4E-ECB3-4BEA-9694-311A140B4E32.jpeg

Roo
E02274CB-57AE-4680-B7BB-CF962968D356.jpeg

roo
AE5D6E8B-A07A-4BB6-A413-A75E96313689.jpeg

hen -looks like the first one but cleaner pattern

Just thought I’d share in case you get something similar. I’ve also not posted pictures before so hope this works !

Recently hatched 19 eggs. Easter egger rooster with Speckled Sussex, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Buff Orpington, Barred Rock and Light Brown Leghorn hens. From what I understand the barred rock is sex-linked? White dot on head means Rooster, right? Are any of these other breeds sexlinked?

Your roo is GORGEOUS 💕💕

I have some similarly mixed chicks that are about 7 weeks old right now. Not sure who is from what hen, but a primarily white EE roo over Wyandotte, speckled sussex, buff Orpington, and EE hens (labeled as Americana at the feed store, just an EE though).
View attachment 2776084
roo
View attachment 2776085
Roo
View attachment 2776086
Roo
View attachment 2776087
Roo
View attachment 2776088
roo
View attachment 2776089

Just thought I’d share in case you get something similar. I’ve also not posted pictures before so hope this works !
Out of curiosity, how do the last two chicks look now?

My understanding is: the hen determines the sex of the offspring. Cockerels
usually look like the hen, pullets look more like the dad. Barring is sex linked, which is why MOST Barred Rock Roos are lighter than Barred Rock hens - they get 2 of the barring genes.

I have not found the size of the white dot to be a definitive marker of Roos in Barred Rocks (as some people suggest)...but with crosses where the female is Barred (as in your case) it is supposed to be an indicator of a roo. I've included a link below to an article about sex-linked in chickens.

https://afs.ca.uky.edu/poultry/sex-linked-crosses

Last edited:
View attachment 2776084
roo
View attachment 2776085
Roo
View attachment 2776086
Roo
View attachment 2776087
Roo
View attachment 2776088
roo
View attachment 2776089

Only one Hen out of the whole bunch?:rolleyes: Whatever happened to the 50/50 ratio?
Your EE roo (1st picture) and ?Wyandotte? - next to last pic- , and your hen are just gorgeous! But, then, I'm partial to Smokey grey colors in chicks:p.

Too bad it wasn't the reverse (white hen), because then you might have been able to tell the sex at hatch.

Only one Hen out of the whole bunch?:rolleyes: Whatever happened to the 50/50 ratio?
Your EE roo (1st picture) and ?Wyandotte? - next to last pic- , and your hen are just gorgeous! But, then, I'm partial to Smokey grey colors in chicks:p.
Too bad it wasn't the reverse (white hen), because then you might have been able to tell the sex at hatch.
I had two hens out of 6, just didn’t catch a picture of the other. She is white with red lacing on some feathers, very pretty. I hatched two different batches, so one of the cockerals may be from the other hatch. I’ll try getting an updated picture of some of them for RoostersAreAwesome.
And I love the Smokey color too- so I’m curious if the red cockeral with the Smokey tail will be an interesting one to keep back for Smokey color influence? Or the black/gray guy, he seems a bit like he could share some interesting colors. But not really a blue color, right?

I had two hens out of 6, just didn’t catch a picture of the other. She is white with red lacing on some feathers, very pretty. I hatched two different batches, so one of the cockerals may be from the other hatch. I’ll try getting an updated picture of some of them for RoostersAreAwesome.
And I love the Smokey color too- so I’m curious if the red cockeral with the Smokey tail will be an interesting one to keep back for Smokey color influence? Or the black/gray guy, he seems a bit like he could share some interesting colors. But not really a blue color, right?
I am not sure exactly how they classify 'blue', cause to me the 'blue' and 'lavender' are really just lighter shades of grey..so...when are they 'grey', 'light grey', and 'lavender'? [I think 'blue' is a chicken who won't breed true to lavender color...whatever shade value of grey that is!]

I bet both of the Roos would have/could have really gorgeous offspring - depending on what they are mated to. Greys mixed with a rusty red or fawn color are soooo pretty! I will have to get my hubby to take a picture of a roo & hen I have -Ameracaunas that I bought as chipmunk looking chicks - they were all supposed to be pullets (hmmmm..4 pullets out of six, someone must be a newbie at sexing at the hatchery!!]. They are 'tweens' now age wise, and they are so pretty (no, I"m not a biased 'mom',lol).

All the chicks in your previous post except the orange one with yellow legs have the blue gene, which causes that gray coloration.

Back
Top Bottom