Easter egger - egg colour blue somedays and green then next?

Fiona Dickson

Chirping
Sep 16, 2017
Hi BYC, Just wondering if anyone else has had an experience with an Easter Egger (Marans Araucana cross) laying olive green and blue eggs? Can it vary that much? I'm mystified - I'm certain it has laid a pee wee blue coloured egg today, but prior to that thought it was laying green.

Attachments

• Greenandblue.jpg
    Greenandblue.jpg
    453.5 KB · Views: 15
I know that new layers can have some trouble with tinting or have colors that get darker with practice, but EEs typically lay just the one color each, not a medley.

Welcome to BYC @Fiona Dickson!

Do you have other EE/OE of laying age?
If not, the smaller egg is a glitch and may not have stopped in the spray booth.
Green eggs are a blue base shell with a brown coating to make them green,
that brown coating can vary or be absent.

Yes, that makes sense. Thanks. this one (8 months old) hasn't quite got her rhythm yet. Varies between classic blue and olive green.

Hi BYC, Just wondering if anyone else has had an experience with an Easter Egger (Marans Araucana cross) laying olive green and blue eggs? Can it vary that much? I'm mystified - I'm certain it has laid a pee wee blue coloured egg today, but prior to that thought it was laying green.
Here's the thing. That cross would produce a blue shelled egg covered with a brown bloom coating. This is why they look olive colored. (Brown coating over a blue shell = Olive or other shades of greens). The brown coating is a by-product of the blood system. (Dried blood is brown). Anyway, it could be possible with a newbie whose systems are just trying to adjust to maybe lay an egg without the coating. (Hence, a blue egg).

There are only two egg shell colors. Blue and white. All brown eggs are really a brown bloom coating over a white shell. (Crack a brown colored egg and look inside. The shell is white) A white or blue egg has no brown by-product in the bloom and stays white or blue. All green colored eggs are blue shelled eggs with different amounts of the brown coating on them. You can google the study of this done by the University of Michigan and other sources.

Back
Top Bottom