Easter Egger Personalities

I've bred easter eggers for a few years. They are a mixed bag but there are some generalizations I can make.
I find them to be very leg-friendly (ie, they will run right up to you and poke around your feet), but not hand-friendly (will run if you try to touch them). They'll eat out of your hand or a container you're holding.
I find them to be quiet birds over-all, not very chatty, but very alert. They are definitely more likely to bolt if something is wrong, very alert and thrifty.
They lay very little in the winter if ever. They're very productive the rest of the year. The eggs are lovely to look at, and so are the birds.
I've found the roos to be very even-tempered over all.

Temperament wise, very sweet and the most vocal. She is always talking to me She is also the one to watch with escaping. She will find ways out but still stays close to all the others. Very independent. She sees me coming and prefers to go in on her own versuse me putting her in the coop.

We had a bad storm and due to safety I brought them in the house. Every day I came home she managed to get out but stayed put roosting right be the rest.

image.jpg

BFDF1D8E-407A-457C-B87B-43E7BFEBBB9C.jpeg
I have 1 adult Easter egger and 2 in my latest batch of chicks. The older one will come when I call for her and let’s me pick her up all the time. She also seems more intelligent than the other breeds I’ve got and when I feed them from my hand she is very gentle and careful not to peck too hard (unlike the others). However, they can be rather dramatic when they are chicks and squawk and run and jump at your movements, but once they get a bit older and realize you’re the one that brings them food, they learn to like you.

I’ve had feed store EEs and some F1 EEs (Wheaten Ameraucana x) and I think if you can buy from a private/local breeder that has known friendly birds you’ll probably have a good chance getting friendly birds. Mine were a mixed bag personality wise but I also varied how much I handled them. You can try and find someone through your local FB poultry group that has friendly birds.

I think it’s their fluffy cheeks that restrict their sight that can make them more jumpy... just a thought. :confused:

My EE's ranged from "wouldn't let you get within 5 feet" to squatting at my feet waiting to be pet, and every stage in between (I've never had one that would jump up on my lap). None of them were mean or aggressive though. At least not amoungst the hens.

Chickens are individuals with individual personalities. This is true even for pure breeds, and an EE is by definition a mixed bag of whatever the breeder chose to make it with.

Back
Top Bottom