Easter Egger Personalities

I've heard many a tale of flighty EEs. Some were plain mean, and some weren't so keen on being touched no matter what. Now, as a person who's first flock will be entirely pets, I'd really enjoy a group of ladies who are friendly and allow me to handle them on occasion. I respect I can't force any animal to like being handled, but I would enjoy my animals being comfortable enough to do the adorable things some do as choosing to hop on one's shoulder while working in the coop, or simply eating from my hand and not running away from me every time I come too close. The problem is, I want my first flock to be just a few Easter Eggers, as they're one of my favorite breeds and I love their random feather colors. I would ideally raise five or six ladies from chicks, no more. So, to soothe my worries, I was hoping to find some owners with experience in the Easter Egger field. What are their personalities like?

I rescued this lady after a tornado took out her farm and flock. I named her twister. After two days she started jumping on my shoulder and back. She rides my shoulder most of the time I am in coop. She started laying eggs 2 months after I rescued her.

Attachments

• CDD356E5-5CA7-4A46-8D42-CA98E2E3CA33.jpeg
    CDD356E5-5CA7-4A46-8D42-CA98E2E3CA33.jpeg
    197.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 5A311042-6331-4714-8008-CC2E9EBF8753.jpeg
    5A311042-6331-4714-8008-CC2E9EBF8753.jpeg
    633.3 KB · Views: 15
  • DFA31597-84D0-4DEF-9D0E-F920D0921743.jpeg
    DFA31597-84D0-4DEF-9D0E-F920D0921743.jpeg
    263 KB · Views: 11
Chickens are individuals with individual personalities

I fully understand and respect that. Every animal has its own unique temperaments... but there are some predictable traits. I suppose it's the Nature v Nurture idea, in which I believe Nurture is more than 70% of the total personality, but a decent 30 is purely nature and thus no small number. Since they would be pets, I'd often handle them from day one on up-- especially since there's nothing I love more than playing with goofy chicks.

I remember once it was very cold outside, and so I was trying to help warm up the chicks by holding one at a time and blowing into my cupped hands until they were warm and relaxed. The particular star of this story was a little older, and very curious. An incredibly lethargic fly landed on my hand, probably on account of the cold and he immediately tried to peck at. When it flew away, the chick peeped and squirmed, so I let him chase the fly around. When he found no success, I caught the fly by the wing and let the little chick hop up to gobble it out of my hand. It was so adorable!

Another time I was with my grandparents and they had three week old broilers, Leghorns. Now, I've heard classically Leghorns are flighty, aggressive birds, especially those who are never handled. As they are purely meat birds, my grandparents handle them only for check ups and the like. One particular chick was very curious, and seeing how sunny it was the little guy decided to hop up my arm and roost. I lifted up my forearm and he stretched his head all the way up into the sun-- his face looked like he was having the time of his life! After he got comfortable, we played a game of hop-off-the-arm-and-onto-the-roof-and-back-again. So cute.

I've heard many a tale of flighty EEs. Some were plain mean, and some weren't so keen on being touched no matter what. Now, as a person who's first flock will be entirely pets, I'd really enjoy a group of ladies who are friendly and allow me to handle them on occasion. I respect I can't force any animal to like being handled, but I would enjoy my animals being comfortable enough to do the adorable things some do as choosing to hop on one's shoulder while working in the coop, or simply eating from my hand and not running away from me every time I come too close. The problem is, I want my first flock to be just a few Easter Eggers, as they're one of my favorite breeds and I love their random feather colors. I would ideally raise five or six ladies from chicks, no more. So, to soothe my worries, I was hoping to find some owners with experience in the Easter Egger field. What are their personalities like?

We have 3, 2 of them aren't super friendly (my toddlers can sometimes catch them and carry them around, like all of our chickens but they arent' the first ones to run up to you) but one in particular is one of our most friendly chickens, always jumping in the car, will come bug you for treats, happy to be carried around, etc...in my experience, if you get them from chicks and baby them any chicken will be somewhat friendly and it depends more on the individual chicken than the breed, but I think they are pretty friendly all around

This is Sparkle Spice (named by my daughter) she decided she was the favorite chick from this bunch and payed her a lot of attention - maybe that is why she is such a velcro chicken! Even taking a picture of her is hard because she chases you down for treats if you even look at her lol

Attachments

• sparkle spice.JPG
    sparkle spice.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 11
After two days she started jumping on my shoulder and back. She rides my shoulder most of the time I am in coop.
Oh my goodness what a sweet gal! I dream to have a bird like that. So cute :love
This is Sparkle Spice (named by my daughter)

Haha, I love it! My littlest brother decided if we got chickens, one of them would be named "Window".

I've got 4 EE hens, and they are indeed more leg friendly than hand friendly. I mean, I can get handle them fine and pick them up, but they'd much rather I just hang out than try to make them lap chickens. They come running up, chat with me (one in particular is very vocal,) and take treats from my hands. I highly recommend them as a great starter breed to anyone, and can only have a small flock at my house but will probably always have EEs.

I also have 2 bantam Polish pullets. They are rescues and were basically scalped by other breeds of chicken in a mixed breed grow-out pen, and 5 months later they still don't have feathers growing back in the middle of their heads but at least the swelling went down. (There were 3, but one had neurological damage so bad she developed severe wry neck and had to be put down.) At first they were very skittish, but now will come running up to me and are way more vocal than anyone else. One will jump on my arms/legs if I'm sitting in the coop and likes to sit on my head sometimes, and both hold their own against the big girls just fine.

I do keep their crests trimmed around their eyes, but in a contained environment that they're comfortable in, mine are not skittish at all. I'm honestly just glad they aren't still scared to death after what they went through before I got them. I've attached pics of my Pearl from when I got her and 1 month later as a honeybee for Halloween. She's laying little pink eggs now almost daily and being a good foster mom to the OEGB.
pearl1.jpg

71B186C7-173A-43E3-9B30-FDA17382F6C7.jpeg

I rescued this lady after a tornado took out her farm and flock. I named her twister. After two days she started jumping on my shoulder and back. She rides my shoulder most of the time I am in coop. She started laying eggs 2 months after I rescued her.
They are for the most part a very friendly bird, I haven't heard of a mean one yet that I can recall, at least out of the hens. I have had a few roosters that were better suited for the pot ten the pen, but the hens are great, and they are all fun.and of course waiting for their first eggs never knowing what you're going to get make chickening all the more enjoyable.

Back
Top Bottom