Easy to peel FRESH LAID hard boiled eggs!

We're at almost 4,000 feet, JetCat.

Edited to add: I've totally given up anyway.....they ain't purty but they taste good!
lau.gif

Personally Blooie, I think you'd be better off just putting all the eggs and other ingredients in a blender, and just from there go for egg salad!
big_smile.png

and it's hard to present egg salad (not sure what that is, but if it comes out of a blender it must be mashed) as beautifully as those devilled eggs.

This is familiar
lol.png
I made pickled eggs and the eggs inside look like they survived heavy artillery. Half of the eggs went with the shells, the membrane was stuck hard to egg, not stuck hard to shell.

It'll be a while before I do another big pot because I've got several jars of pickled eggs to get through, but I will try the bicarb in the water, and I'll give the cracking all over and squeezing a go, and the pressure cooker a go. I'll report back in 2020....

(If I was boiling a couple of eggs just to eat, I used to boil up the water and add the eggs, but when you are doing a huge pot of them, it's too much trouble to try to do it that way, and hard to time because by the time you get the 20th (or whatever) egg in there, the first one's already had more cooking time. All the "people" (Martha Stewart etc) on youtube say to bring the water to the boil with the eggs in it and it's the only way to do a huge pot, I think.)

I might try those bedevilled eggs though. I'm sure I could achieve something just like the photo.

My husband rotates the eggs as to when we get them so we eat the oldest ones first and so on. I don't have the patience for this so I usually end hard boiling the newest ones first making peeling a headache and our household the obscenity capitol of our block (and yes dropping the F bomb for hard to peel eggs is called for) I used to do the water not boiling with eggs added as well and as I mentioned eggs look liked then went through a wood chipper. I haven't had any issues though with the new way and life is back to normal and our neighbors can open their windows in peace and confidence once again
barnie.gif

Finally found the right, current thread for my revelation! <whew>

I have tried just about every possible idea on how to boil eggs for easy peeling, especially fresh eggs. We all raise chickens because we want FRESH eggs, right? Not ones we've had to set aside for 2 weeks to make them easier to peel.

Believe me, I've tried them all. At one point I had 45 dozen eggs in the 'fridge, so I went on an "egg peeling binge", doing 1/2 doz at a time. Tried all the recommendations, including varying the boiling time, starting with cold water, adding salt or vinegar to the water....blah, blah... All the boiled eggs were transferred to a bowl of ice water to chill after cooking, so that was a constant in my experiments.

Then just yesterday I came across the last, greatest and best method I have yet to discover. Steaming! Just like in the OP here, with a variation.
It started out in the OP talking about a pressure cooker. Don't need one. I used a double boiler stainless steel steamer. The source I found used a bamboo steamer so they could load it up with a dozen or more fresh eggs.

Get the water to the point of boiling. Place your eggs in your steamer.
Steam the eggs for 20 minutes.
Lift out the eggs with tongs and put them in a bowl of iced water.
Let them cool until they are cold to the touch, and you are able to handle them for peeling.
Roll the egg on its side to loosen the internal membranes.
Crack the big end of the egg, and start peeling.

All these day old eggs I did last night peeled perfectly! The peel would come off in a continuous strip most of the time, like peeling an apple.

After all these years, I've found my new method, free of picking, running under water, cussing, or ending up with egg salad when I wanted deviled eggs.

Try it...you'll like it!

our household the obscenity capitol of our block (and yes dropping the F bomb for hard to peel eggs is called for)
hahaha, yes I can confirm that trying to get the shells off the last batch included a lot of swearing.

Old Philosopher, the steaming might be why the batch I did in my new egg cooker were not horrific to peel. It only does 8 eggs at a time though, so it's not practical for when I do a whole heap for pickling.

So, here's my plan: Use the pasta pot, don't fill it right up so everything boils, just use enough water so the eggs steam. 20 minutes? Do they really need that long? My egg cooker just runs for a "normal" amount of time.

Quote:
Anything that can be used as a steamer basket will work. I was thinking pasta pot, probably as you were typing that! With my pasta pot, I'd put a small metal bowl inverted in the bottom to raise the basket up enough to keep the eggs completely out of the water.

Our test batch was 20 minutes as recommended by my source. The yolks were well set and popped right out of the whites. There was no "gray line" around the yolks indicating over-cooking. So...20 minutes is what I'll stick with.

You might want that extra time, also, if you have your pasta pot really loaded. Make sure everything on the inside of the pile gets cooked.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom