Easy to peel FRESH LAID hard boiled eggs!

Thanks, J.C. for the field test, and the pictorial! I had 1 out of 6 that was also stubborn, though not quite as bad as your experience. Considering with other methods and fresh eggs, I might get 1 out of 6 that actually peels I figure the odds are now in my favor with this method.
Thanks for sharing.
thumbsup.gif

Due to the porosity of the shell, the steam might even be adding moisture to the shell and membrane.
I continued looking up info before (especially on the time). The author of this articles says "Some of the air from the hot steam permeates the egg shell making the egg more easy to peel."
http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_steam_eggs/

Also says the time varies depending on different factors.

My new egg cooker is good, because you don't have to time it. It switches off when it's "done". It's good to know that my recent easier-to-peels weren't just a fluke. Maybe I'll abandon doing heaps in the big pot, and just do 8 at a time.

EDIT: oh, you can prevent splitting eggs by poking a hole in the end with a needle (or an egg pricker)

Last edited:
Quote:
Well, there ya go. I'm not totally off my rocker...unless we both are.
I tried the hole-in-the-shell thing before without really reasoning it out. I ended up poking the wrong end of the egg on a couple, and had a string of cooked egg white poking out as a reward.
I store all my eggs with the small end down, so it makes sense to poke the big end where the 'air' pocket is so expanding air pressure doesn't crack the egg, but little if any content is lost.

I'm curious how an egg cooker knows how to take those other factors into account, and vary the time so it knows when a particular batch of eggs is "done"?

Last edited:
Well, there ya go. I'm not totally off my rocker...unless we both are.
Your thoughts seemed more explanatory than in the article. I don't have anything to contribute. No physics education beyond basic "stuff" in high school science (most of which I can't remember)

Quote:
Short answer: it probably doesn't. It just does it to a timer. The company's probably averaged out a time that will cook 1-8 eggs in that machine. It's very small, the space above/around the eggs is very small, and it heats and cooks in a very short amount of time, there's very little water in it. I expect you'd see differing results for different sized eggs - well-cooked yolks in small eggs, bit softer in the middle for big eggs.

Has anyone tried BAKING eggs, as per the Alton Brown method? I haven't, so far. And I haven't a clue, as how to adapt the cooking time to Bantam Fruit.

I have been collecting my recent bantam eggs to make a couple big jars of pickled eggs. I have never used extremely fresh eggs for boiled eggs, as the "old school of thought" that I was brought up with (and within rural backyard flocks), was that you never boiled an ultra-fresh egg.

Aside,...I gave some same-day-laid eggs to a neighbor, without explaining that he/they possibly shouldn't try peeling FRESH boiled eggs? Ignoramus me, assumed "they" would use the super-fresh eggs in an omelet, frittata, etc. So, 'natch, the neighbor boiled them up, and couldn't easily peel a single egg. Duh.

Great ideas here. Cooking times are likely off the charts for bantam eggs, as well, but it's much fun to read about peeling FRESH eggs. Not the crappe from the grocery store?

Has anyone tried BAKING eggs, as per the Alton Brown method? I haven't, so far. And I haven't a clue, as how to adapt the cooking time to Bantam Fruit.

I have been collecting my recent bantam eggs to make a couple big jars of pickled eggs. I have never used extremely fresh eggs for boiled eggs, as the "old school of thought" that I was brought up with (and within rural backyard flocks), was that you never boiled an ultra-fresh egg.

Aside,...I gave some same-day-laid eggs to a neighbor, without explaining that he/they possibly shouldn't try peeling FRESH boiled eggs? Ignoramus me, assumed "they" would use the super-fresh eggs in an omelet, frittata, etc. So, 'natch, the neighbor boiled them up, and couldn't easily peel a single egg. Duh.

Great ideas here. Cooking times are likely off the charts for bantam eggs, as well, but it's much fun to read about peeling FRESH eggs. Not the crappe from the grocery store?

Can't speak to the baking method. But for what it's worth with the bantam eggs...I steamed a half dozen of some eggs taken from our new pullets-turned-hens. These first run eggs were about 1/2 to 2/3 the size of my older hens' eggs. I steamed them for 15 min rather than 20. Came out fine. The oldest of these small eggs was about 5 days. Never raised bantams, so I don't know if the egg size is comparable.

Back
Top Bottom