Easy to peel FRESH LAID hard boiled eggs!

LOVED, the scenario about blowing out boiled eggs, Old Philosopher ...! I dunno, having not yet tried it. But...don't many, many things in the Commercial Booths at county & state fairs fail to perform "as advertised"? I hate to clean walls. Have one husband & two messy dawgs.

Thanks, JetCat for clarifying that the eggs in your post were quail, not bantam eggs. I will increase the length of boiling.

I don't want the "green/grey ring" around the yolks, reflected by over-boiled eggs. I am a bit confused about the words, "...any size chicken egg". Apples and Oranges? I would still prefer that my boiled eggs didn't have a dark ring around the yolks after cooking. That is a turn off for me. For me/us, we also taste that over-cooked eggs are "sulfurous". Am I/we alone?

As was stated a few posts back, my first steaming trial for 20 minutes resulted in NO over-cooked ring around the yolks. I guess I'll have to steam up some more, with pix, to prove it.

Quote:
That sounds on the verge of phobic.
idunno.gif
Don't ever visit an artisan bakery, or a real pizzaria.
wink.png

Thanks, potato chip and Old Philosopher for the comments about "boiled-egg blowing". I DO agree that the procedure is a psychological turn-off.

But the public who eats within restaurants, tries to believe in some form of hygiene among personnel/cooks? Fast-food joints are often required to don steamy latex gloves possibly for a very good reason, given levels of no-cleanliness by a few employees? We have pretty much travelled the globe in past years, and have never gotten sick, except in Mexico. Throw the rules out the door in Mexico?. Some people do have better immune systems than others? The world scenario isn't just Mexico. The real picture may be whether we have an immune system capable of dealing with "new/outside bugs"?

Food has been largely prepared by (uncovered) HANDS since the beginning of time. You may have to possibly remain within "your village" to be immune to "new" pathogens.

It will be interesting to see the "other forum" discussion, Old Philosopher. Again...left curious.
Both my sons are chefs, and I held a food handler's permit for 21 years. People who work in the food industry have sanitation skills beat into them daily.
We hear of tainted food tragedies in public eateries, but that is rarely the fault of the food handlers, and most often traces back to improperly handled commodities before ever getting to the restaurant.
I do definitely agree that resistance to certain bacteria can be regional.

That sounds on the verge of phobic.
idunno.gif
Don't ever visit an artisan bakery, or a real pizzaria.
wink.png
No, I don't have a problem with germs or things being touched, obviously things are touched when food is prepared, I just hate watching tv chefs who can't keep their mitts off the food, particularly when it is unnecessary. You can toss a salad with salad servers, you don't have to plunge in with your hands (and salad is something that can be a problem bug-wise, as it isn't cooked). You can taste something with a spoon, don't dip your finger in it. Touch it when you need to (knead to?), otherwise don't manhandle everything. Some chefs are more "grabby" than others. Instead of smearing the oil on the bit of meat, they'll smear it and smear it and smear it, turn it over, lots of smearing, turn it back, smear smear smear. It's like "enough already, you aren't performing a therapeutic massage on the thing!"

Quote:
LOL! Gotcha...but I'm going to go all woo-woo on ya for a minute here.
Like I said, I have 2 sons in the food industry, not to mention a wife who is a magician in the kitchen, and who inspired them.
First I have to made a distinction between someone who follows the recipe in a cookbook and turns out something mostly edible, the real cook who knows how to turn out a soup, grill cod fillet and finish up with a sorbet simultaneously and without ever touching a measuring spoon, or look up the proper seasonings, and a chef who has the passion and ability to turn edible things into visual delights and culinary pleasure.
In the latter case, there is an energy involved that transforms the mundane to the exceptional. The dish in question can't always be imbued with the passion behind its creation with out getting 'hands on' attention. A true chef likes to "get in there" to perform his/her magic.
I'm not a chef, but I am a gardener. Sure, I could work the soil with gloves on, and use a trowel, but I work with my bare hands whenever possible. It gives me a connection to the whole process of germinating seeds and growing the edible bounty. I like the feel of the dirt. I feel more like I'm part of the process. An accomplished cook, or chef is pretty much the same.
Not saying anyone has to approve, but that's why they do it.

. Some use spoons and some lick bowls. LOL
Your above line just brought me a "Déjà Vu"

Many many many years ago when I was a lil snipe, I ran home from school just to find my mother making a cake.. The cinnamon and honey smells filled the air.. I yelled out " mommy, can I lick the bowl???" She replied softly,................... No son, flush it like everyone else does.
gig.gif
lau.gif
celebrate.gif

I realize my "Boiled" Egg report is pretty mundane and boring:

Just wanted to say that I did a "semi-scientific" (is there such a thing...Not?) test, by simultaneously steaming & boiling some of my bantam eggs this afternoon.
I set up two pans. One with a steamer rack, and the other, a pot for plain ol' boiling water. I divided my little eggs to include eggs laid yesterday, and two laid within hours today (super-fresh?). I pickled the results of both experiments in one quart jar.

Steamed an almost-equal portion of the eggs (13 eggs in single layer) for 15 minutes. I did not add the steamer tray until the water was under full boil. Added the other 12 eggs to rapidly-boiling water for 12 minutes (but I did turn off burner after 10 minutes. Heavy pot was able to keep conducting the heat).

With both scenarios, I had two ice-water baths ready to go. Much ice, little water. Stirred all eggs around in their icy confines a couple times, as I cleaned the pans.....6-7 minutes. Peeled both batches, partially "dunking" them in the same ice water bath, after cracking the large end of each egg, and rolling it briefly across a small part of the granite counter to loosen the shell membranes.

Took two "random scientific samples" from each batch to cut in half. In both cases, the yolks were very nicely done. No hard "dense rocks" for "centers", and no "over-cooked green/grey ring" around the yolks. Oddly, I thought the steamed eggs tasted a bit superior to the boiled ones. More flavor, but hard to describe. Please remember, the sampling was pretty small?

There was one egg that was somewhat difficult to peel, likely one of the two ultra-fresh-two-hour Nest Fruits? Very small air space present at the "top" of the egg. The egg was among the steamed groupies, but otherwise the steamed batch o'eggs seemed a tiny-bit easier to peel that the "ladled-into-boiling-water groupies. I was impressed by BOTH methods for cooking fresh eggs.

Once plunked into a sterilized quart jar....(four Brothers got left behind...only could fit 21 eggs in a quart)

Thanks,...All. Looking forward, to the results. Pickled Hen Berries....

I have Zero idea, as to how my adaptation of a well-known pickled-egg recipe will turn out. I blessed 'All", when put in the fridge.

Great little chickens. Hopefully, I didn't destroy their offerings.......

Thanks, JetCat for clarifying that the eggs in your post were quail, not bantam eggs.  I will increase the length of boiling.  

I don't want the "green/grey ring" around the yolks, reflected by over-boiled eggs.    I am a bit confused about the words, "...any size chicken egg".  Apples and Oranges?     I would still prefer that my boiled eggs didn't have a dark ring around the yolks after cooking.  That is a turn off for me.  For me/us, we also taste that over-cooked eggs are "sulfurous".  Am I/we alone?

I boil bantam and LF eggs together, 12 min and none come out with the green ring or have an overlooked taste, I'm only 311' ASL and altitude can make all sorts of crazy differences when cooking so yours may be different.

JetCat, we live at slightly over 4K feet in elevation. No In-the-Sky elevations that may hover well above 6 thousand feet ("6k") in several western states. Oh,...that's also an "ASL" (Above Sea Level) comment?

Generally speaking.. I don't feel our "personal altitude" ( ASL, or even including Latitude?) makes much difference in baking, or boiling eggs? If you are growing onions, a completely different ballgame. But...Chicken Fruit? I doubt it.

Please respond without unnecessary acronyms? "k" equals 1,000 folks, and that's as far as I will venture. "ASL" ? Many readers on BYC may NOT understand all the acronyms?

Sorry, I sounded so Primitive. Paleo?

I realize I am hanging myself.

Back
Top Bottom