EATING GOOSE EGGS YAY OR NAY

Discussion in 'Geese' started by alycececelia, Mar 21, 2013.

1. alycececelia

alycececelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2013
    Here is another question. We have 2 Africans and 2 Saddlebacks. Between them they are working on over 60 eggs (all in one communal nest) They have been laying since Feb 24. I haven't yet eaten an egg, but have read they are delicious. Would you recommend eating them, the weather has been cold and we just removed over 2 dozen as they were literally knocking the older eggs out of the nest.

2. JoeyOsborne

JoeyOsborne Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2013
    Cornwall, England, U.K
    According to what i've heard there meant to be tasty but ive never ate one myself if you have to many eggs, are these eggs fertile because then you could sell them or hatch them out? i don't have much experience with geese unfortunatelly!:-(

3. kelseysfowl

kelseysfowl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2012
    Missouri
    My sister raises geese and she sends me a dozen every couple of weeks. they taste just fine, I personally dont think they taste any different.

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I can't tell the difference either. But its good to crack them in a separate bowl in case you get shell shards.

5. Nyssa03

Nyssa03 Chillin' With My Peeps

good idea about cracking in a separate bowl - the shells are generally so hard it's easy to get them into the bowl. I have found stirring them with a wisk works best because the yolks are quite thick (compared to chicken eggs). I've used them for omlets, quiche, and in puddings. My whole family really like them. One, just fried is almost too much for just one person to eat. Hope you enjoy them.

6. They make great cakes!

7. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    enjoy them, they sel quickly when we have them available. We eat a few of the eggs and a few of that years geese (processed in the fall) and both are well worth it.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    We have eaten quite a few of our gooses eggs, I made omelets and they are Delicious.

9. Grassman 52

Grassman 52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2012
    Ludlow Mass
    With Easter on the way - I have been blowing some goose eggs out so the kids could decorate them - I save the insides and make great omelets -

10. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    Yay!

Goose eggs are great for baking or cooking. I've had them scrambled, in quiches, omelettes, and cakes - yum!

I cannot taste any difference between chicken eggs and goose eggs. Goose eggs have a slightly larger yolk-to-white ratio than chicken eggs.

When I use them for baking, I weigh them. A standard chicken egg (w/o the shell) weighs about 50 grams; a large egg 60 grams. So if a recipe calls for three large eggs, it's 180 grams of egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by