EE rooster....right??--UPDATED, yes, definitely a rooster :)

Woofless

Songster
11 Years
Apr 7, 2010
SD
So far out of 27 chickens (8-11 weeks old) , I have 2 who were pretty easy to peg as roosters as they developed roo traits early. One is a brownish EE the same age as this one and he was pretty obviously roo at 7-8 weeks.

This one was slower to develop but his comb is getting redder & redder every day...and I think those are pointed saddle feathers coming in...?

Still, I'm new to chickens so I wanted to see if I had guessed right....I think I've got a rooster perched on my ankle, what do you all think?
big_smile.png

EERooster.jpg

Last edited:
Shelley- Oh noo...don't tell me that...LOL....I have 2 more EE's almost the same color (one has more black and a big bushy black beard) who are so far looking more like hens. I hope they stay that way....3 roosters is plenty!!

See the one in the background behind him? That's one I've been calling "Lavender"....(s)he is almost the same color but her black is a diluted bluish gray. Would that be more indicative of a female? She (hopefully) is so pretty....I'm really hoping she's a hen!!

Caleb, not sure where his tail is!! I have a few tailless EE's. LOL maybe the tail fairy will bring it one day & leave it under his perch or something....what's a rooster without a big pretty tail?
wink.png

Quote:
Usually the ones with more scattered coloring on them are hens, I don't think I've personally seen a hen that was just white with black. The roos seem to have more distinct markings, the hens seem to be more muddled
smile.png

ETA that just like everything else EE, there are no rules. I'm sure there are white with black hens, just as I'm sure there are roos that look hen-ish because of their color/markings, I just haven't seen them
smile.png

Pics of some EE roos I've had:

The one in the front is a roo, the white in the back is a roo, and the pullet eating (butt facing camera). I thought the one in the front was a pullet for the longest time because the colors are so 'gentle', but no such luck
sad.png

PICT0527.jpg

Roo, I had 2 like this:
Picture062.jpg

Last edited:
I have two EE pullet's and one EE hen that is colored like him so I don't think color is enough to classify him as a roo... but his feathers and comb scream roo to me.

Every EE I've seen on here with a black "cape" on its shoulders has been a cockeral. I'm not sure which genetics do that, but it seems to run true. That and rusty spots on a black and white.

Back
Top Bottom