EE rooster....right??--UPDATED, yes, definitely a rooster :)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Woofless, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Woofless

Woofless Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2010
    SD
    So far out of 27 chickens (8-11 weeks old) , I have 2 who were pretty easy to peg as roosters as they developed roo traits early. One is a brownish EE the same age as this one and he was pretty obviously roo at 7-8 weeks.

This one was slower to develop but his comb is getting redder & redder every day...and I think those are pointed saddle feathers coming in...?

Still, I'm new to chickens so I wanted to see if I had guessed right....I think I've got a rooster perched on my ankle, what do you all think? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  2. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    Where's his tail???
    I think it's a roo.

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Yep, that's a boy [​IMG]

ETA that for future reference, that color is almost always male in EEs. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  4. Woofless

Woofless Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2010
    SD
    Shelley- Oh noo...don't tell me that...LOL....I have 2 more EE's almost the same color (one has more black and a big bushy black beard) who are so far looking more like hens. I hope they stay that way....3 roosters is plenty!!

See the one in the background behind him? That's one I've been calling "Lavender"....(s)he is almost the same color but her black is a diluted bluish gray. Would that be more indicative of a female? She (hopefully) is so pretty....I'm really hoping she's a hen!!

Caleb, not sure where his tail is!! I have a few tailless EE's. LOL maybe the tail fairy will bring it one day & leave it under his perch or something....what's a rooster without a big pretty tail? [​IMG]

5. MikasGirl

MikasGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    He is such a gorgeous boy! My EE roo is black and white with some rusty patches.. Love those EE roos!

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Usually the ones with more scattered coloring on them are hens, I don't think I've personally seen a hen that was just white with black. The roos seem to have more distinct markings, the hens seem to be more muddled [​IMG]

ETA that just like everything else EE, there are no rules. I'm sure there are white with black hens, just as I'm sure there are roos that look hen-ish because of their color/markings, I just haven't seen them [​IMG]

Pics of some EE roos I've had:

The one in the front is a roo, the white in the back is a roo, and the pullet eating (butt facing camera). I thought the one in the front was a pullet for the longest time because the colors are so 'gentle', but no such luck [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Roo, I had 2 like this:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  7. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    Quote:I think he gets the tailless gene from the Araucana blood in him. (EE where originally bred from crossing Araucanas and other breeds)

8. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    I have two EE pullet's and one EE hen that is colored like him so I don't think color is enough to classify him as a roo... but his feathers and comb scream roo to me.

9. LyndaJ

LyndaJ New Egg

May 17, 2010
    Ohio
    Every EE I've seen on here with a black "cape" on its shoulders has been a cockeral. I'm not sure which genetics do that, but it seems to run true. That and rusty spots on a black and white.

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Definitely a boy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by