Eeek! pip help **She hatched**

GlitterKitty

Songster
10 Years
Nov 21, 2009
Alrighty so today I was gone all day and when I came home two bantam eggs have pipped. The shell part is broken but it doesn't have a complete hole. Idk if they quit or they are jsut starting but Im really freaking out adn wondering if I should help??!!! This is my first time and they are under broodies. Please help, are they quitters? Should I go back out there and see there progress? I picked them up to see how far they were along candling and noticed they felt kinda runny liek there was waster inside and then i saw the pip so I put it back down./

PLease help!

Last edited by a moderator:
If they just pipped this afternoon, and they're under their mama, i would just leave them and their mama alone and check on them tomorrow. You will likely have two new babies by tomorrow afternoon.

Okay
smile.png
This morning when I checked there was no pip, than I come home now at 9:30 and theres a teeny pip. Im just worried because what if they quit? I only have two right now but there was another bantam egg...so maybe these just started pipping and the other one will later? Omg I hope there okay
hmm.png

Well, as much as i know you want to go monitor them every moment, the very best thing you can do is leave them alone for a while.
wink.png

I have very very very very rarely had a chick quit after pipping, and i have seen quite a few natural hatches this year.

Hope you'll post pics tomorrow.

When I hatch my Silkies, they make a little dented area first, then rest, make a hole where the dent was, rest more, zip, and then HATCH! I hope that helps ease your worries! Good luck with the hatch!

Thanks! How long did that take? I think I'll probaly be up all night runnning out there
tongue.png
Or maybe I should wait till morning to ahve a surprise?? But then again I'm a late sleeper and who knows what my crazy big hens will do
idunno.gif

I guess I'll have too...I don't know I wake up at... 7 or so. And I don't really have an alarm clcok set up, but I have one...

Do you think the big australorp will hurt them? I know my red sex links really can't since they don't have beaks..

She'll probably still be sitting on the babies for a few hours after they hatch, so no one will see them.

It's hard to say what another hen will do, not knowing your set up or the temperament of your different chickens. My chickens have really never tried to harm each others chicks, except one time when a current mother thought the new mother had stolen her chicks.
lol.png
Once they got that sorted out, there were no problems.
wink.png

For mine, i have started isolating the mother and babies for a couple of days after hatch. Some of my mamas seem to be in a daze for a while after the hatch- and not as protective as they need to be.

Usually, the mamas being with the chicks makes them a part of the flock automatically, and the grown birds really don't bother them - at least in my flock. That's really something you'll have to watch and play by ear. You just have to use your best instincts to determine what to do at the time. But all in all, broody mamas are normally pretty protective of their babies.

Back
Top Bottom