Egg bound and prolapse.

Equimby88

Songster
Jun 10, 2018
Yesterday I noticed one of my lemon Pyle brahma hens sat in the nest at lock up time. I just assumed she was laying a late egg as I'd not had one that morning from her. This morning still no egg and notice her walking all hunched and slow so I checked and she has a huge egg stuck. All her skin/tissue has dried around the egg. Iv tried giving her a warm soak to unstick the dried skin dried her off and pipped her in a hutch by her self. She seems to be trying so hard now to push it out. Is there anything else I can do or is this goin to be a vet job.

This is a tough issue to deal with, but it can have a good outcome. You will need to glove up and get the oil out and do some vent massage. But first thing is to give the hen a calcium tablet and a long drink of water. This will help her contractions to be strong.

Warm the oil. Massage it into the dried tissue, trying to scoot as much as possible back inside the vent toward the egg. If you have a narrow syringe, you can use it to get the oil farther into the vent around the egg to lubricate it. Gradually push the vent tissue back away from the egg to urge it out.

This can take a bit of time. Take breaks. Let the hen rest for a few minutes, you rest, then go at it again. Be gentle, be careful not to break the egg. It will come out.

Hey.. thanks for ur reply. I did what you said with the oil and massage. Did this every few hours. Sadly on the 3rd time to go do it I found her no longer with us and up in chicken heaven. I'm gutted she was my prettiest girl. I feel kinda awful that I didnt just take her straight to the vet now 😭

Back
Top Bottom