Egg Color Questions

countrygalut

In the Brooder
Feb 18, 2015
So, I understand that dark egg laying hens have a 'paint factory' where the color is actually put on the shell, and the shell itself is white/cream colored. You can scrub the color off and reveal the cream color underneath, and when you crack the egg you can see that it's light inside. And for blue/green layers, the shell itself is colored, so it's blue/green all the way through, and the color doesn't come off. On the dark eggs, the color may vary from the beginning of her laying cycle to the end, starting out darker and getting lighter towards the end usually. What I'm wondering is, for the blue/green layers, can the actual tint/shade of their egg change over their cycle too? The reason I ask is because when my new girls first started laying I brought in one green egg, and one very distinctly blue egg. Ever since then all my eggs have been green. Each of my girls lays a slightly different shade of green, but they are definitely green and not blue. So where did my ONE blue egg come from? I have 4 Easter Eggers and three of them lay green eggs,
and one of them lays pink eggs.

Egg color will vary some in the very first eggs laid until the reproductive system is fully developed. As there are different parts to the system as an egg passes through each part has a slightly different maturity date. You can have shell less eggs and what have you in the first few laid; a slight color change? Absolutely.

And while we're discussing egg color... How the heck did my girl do THIS one? lol
I just decided she must be an artsy hen, and was going for that 'galaxy' look. I'm not sure which of my girls laid it, but I've gotten a second one like this since. I'm assuming it's one of the Marans, since it's obviously 'painted'. I have 4 Black Copper Marans, and 2 Cuckoo Marans.

Yes, eggs can change color. A green egg is a blue egg with brown spray paint. So, if they skip the paint, you will get a blue egg.

Whoopsies in the egg factory happen sometimes. This is from a welsummer pullet.

Back
Top Bottom