Egg pipped 24hrs now,here chick,no progress!!help!!

Quote:
all depends.. if you know what you're doing there are very very few risks (I have assisted hatchs for a very very long time and I very rarely lose a chick).. HOWEVER.. if you have no clue what you're doing you can kill them very quickly

Quote:
The biggest problem is that a LOT of the time people are trying to 'help' before the chick needs any assistance. A lot of these 'should I help' posts are about chicks that hatch fine in their own time, like the one in this post just did. A chick pips the shell well before it is actually ready to hatch. It spends anything from an hour or two to well over a day resting and absorbing what is left of its yolk sac, while the blood supply of veins around the membrane gradually dries up. So if it is helped out of the shell before it is ready, there is the risk of blood loss (from the veins in the membrane), the chick will be weak, it may have an unabsorbed yolk sac, and there's quite a big chance it could die. As well as that, you're taking a risk with all the other unhatched eggs in the bator, as by opening it to take out the one egg you're trying to help, you'll most likely cause the high lockdown humidity to drop, which could cause all the other chicks to become 'shrinkwrapped' - stuck in their shells because of low humidity.

It's quite hard to tell when a chick is just resting and when it might actually be stuck, and I think it's something you only learn after watching a number of routine hatches take place and get a feel for how a whole hatch usually progresses from beginning to end.

Back
Top Bottom