Eggs Hatched But Got Caught In Fan HELP! *Graphic Pics*

Yoda

Songster
9 Years
Jul 7, 2010
Shady Hills, FL
I had to start a different thread for this but These eggs were not suppose to hatch until between Sunday - Tuesday.
he.gif
Why they hatched this early I do not know. I had to work and before I left I always check for pipping, at 12:30 there was none. When I came home from work there were 3 hatched and all got caught in the fan
hit.gif

I am so upset over this that I started to panic and that was not going to help these babies at all so I kicked into perfessional mode (I use to be a pro dog groomer). I took each one and examined them. One has a little cut on it's head, the IB or charcoal has a little bigger one on his head but the other has a huge, I mean HUGE skin lose on it's head and the back of it's neck. I put some Vaseline petroleum jelly on the cuts including the last one. I don't know if they should dry up or if I needed to keep them moist to heal so I went with the second cause it seemed to soothe them as I applied it - well in my mind anyways. The pictures are very graphic and the worse chick looks even worser (new word of the day) cause of the "jelly"
hide.gif
Will they all be ok? Do I need to do something for them? Will the worse one heal ok?
fl.gif
This is really upsetting me!!
hit.gif

This is when I first put the Vaseline on the most bloody one:

100_2147.jpg

All 3 in the brooder:

100_2149.jpg

100_2153.jpg

The worse one with it's head down sleeping on the other, here you see the neck damage:

100_2154.jpg

I taped his foot to the end of a popsicle stick. He can now stand on it but he falls over when he walks LOL so now he sits normally
smile.png
it's a start. The other 3 are doing great so far. No infections (knock on wood), eating, drinking and sleeping the day away. They stand still while I put the cream on each one - seem to be getting use to it. The 2 that were not as bad as the white one are doing really good but the white one is going to take longer to heal. Will keep adding pictures every couple days to keep everyone updated.

You poor thing. What a horrible thing to come home to, but I think there's hope. First I would put neosporin (without the pain relief added it's bad for chicks) and keep putting the neosporin on as needed. Chicks heel remarkably well, and I think there's hope for yours. I'm not sure if I would recommend antibiotics at this point. Keep them secluded, quiet, and keep putting on the ointment. Maybe some electrolytes in the water and added protein to their diet too. Like a yogurt mash.

Best to your babies. Keep us posted.

I think there is a good chance they will be okay. I don't have personal experience with this, but I have read quite a few posts about adult chickens picking chick's heads raw like yours are (basically scalping them). They seem to recover really fast. If you search for adult chickens attacking chicks, or hens attacking chicks, I bet you will find some of the stories and pictures of what others have experienced.

Good luck with your babies!!!

So sorry to hear that.
hugs.gif

If it is kept clean/not infected it should heal as long as that is just subcutaneous tissue and skin. I don't think it is a bad as it initially looks.
If there is any way you can get the skin edges together like on the neck it will likely help with their future appearance.

And if you don't have access to surgical instruments a lot can be done with VERY CAREFULLY and skantily placed superglue.
It is sometimes used in the ER for cuts.

I had a java chick that got scalped by brooder mates. It all happened in about 30minutes. It was a totally totally dreadful expereince.

Anyway I managed to mobilize the neck skin and bring the edges of the wound together to sew it up. There was just one small defect left but the skin was too tight to pull the last bit together. Dressed it with neosporin.
She made a great recovery but never grew any crest feathers.

Please keep us updated.

Before - yup, that is bare skull.
38124_pre1_54.jpg

After - skin now covering the defect.
38124_post2_57j.jpg

Last edited:
Ouch, that should heal with time. Since they are up and running, looks like they escaped brain damage and will survive. Just keep their heads clean and they should make it. Good luck.

I have the one that came with the incubator. It was white but now has blood all over it
hit.gif

100_2155.jpg

Here is what the eggs look like inside:

100_2089.jpg

Last edited:
Ouch! I think that the styrobators have a height extending insert you could get for them. That looks like it should fit a standard PC fan guard too. Just get some little nuts and bolts and screw it onto the four holes on the danger side.

Back
Top Bottom