Eggs pipping early

janz70

Songster
Jul 4, 2017
N.E. UK
I got home from my night shift to find 3 of my 9 viable eggs have started pipping 5 days early

I quickly stopped the turning program, lined the floor with paper towels and bumped the humidity to max, which is only 70% on my RCOM 20 max.
To help increase the humidity, I am spraying the paper towel with water and that gets it up to 82 to 84% but a bit worried about opening the lid to spray and the temp dropping

Any advice welcome as never hatched duck eggs before and never had eggs pip so early!

Are you positive of the day count? Day 1 starts 24 hours after setting.

Either way, if they are pipping, they will soon hatch! It could still take 48 hours for a duckling to pip and fully zip. Usually not that long, but it’s not out of the norm.
Your temp must be running a little high if they are hatching that early

Good luck!

Defo ducks - 1 pipped egg has a little beak showing now -

I checked my temp by a digital medical thermometer - it showed incubator was only 0.2'C different

I have managed to increase humidity to 80% by recalibrating the RCOMs humidity at 70% down to 60% and setting it again to 70% (which is actually 80% - if that makes sense) - wet towel wasn't working as incubator was maintaining it at 70%

3 eggs have pipped the wrong end, away from air sack - a little worried by these

Can you get a picture showing where the pip is?

Usually they do ok. Better if it’s back away from the very pointed end. If it’s really close to the tip, they can have a little trouble turning when they try to zip.

Also the ones that miss the air cell can take longer because they have skipped the day they normally spend breathing the air cell air.

Back
Top Bottom