1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggshells/Oyster Shell

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 6chick*start, Jul 26, 2011.

1. 6chick*start

6chick*start Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    NE OKlahoma
    I'm ready to buy Layer feed for my 18 week olds. 9 girls, 1 roo.
    No eggs yet but the girls are getting very red.
    If I feed back their dried and crushed shells will they still need oyster shell?

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I am in the same boat, I plan on doing both...I have several roosters and younger girls, so I will continue with starter/grower and add the oyster shell and egg shell in a side pan...they will eat it if they need it. I have been collecting my egg shells for weeks now, getting ready! Don't think it will harm them at all...they won't gorge themselves on it.

3. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

6chick*start :

I'm ready to buy Layer feed for my 18 week olds. 9 girls, 1 roo.
    No eggs yet but the girls are getting very red.
    If I feed back their dried and crushed shells will they still need oyster shell?

I would still offer oyster shell free choice just in case some have calcium absorption issues. Oyster shell is cheap insurance.​

4. 6chick*start

6chick*start Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    NE OKlahoma
    Quote:I would still offer oyster shell free choice just in case some have calcium absorption issues. Oyster shell is cheap insurance.

That's what I thought. Thank you.
    I just put out 2 crushed shells for the first time and the little piggies gobbled them right up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by