Electric Fence Recommendations - Solar and AC

smoknz28

Songster
Mar 7, 2012
Central Virginia, USA
I am having a terrible time with red foxes coming on our property killing our poultry. They don't mess with our goats. The goats are in a pen, but I'm sure the foxes can get in if they really wanted to.

The chickens and turkeys are put away at night and we like to free range them during the day however, the foxes are catching on to this and are now coming earlier in the day.

Our animals are with us as pets, not for food. Recently one of our chocolate turkeys was attacked by a fox and luckily I caught it in the act as my dog was barking at 5:20am. Was able to scare off the fox and we saved the turkey which cost me $260 to have her seen and stitched up.

We are now looking at running electric wire around a perimeter of our yard, but I am ignorant on what is best recommended for electric fence protection against red foxes. Been searching the net a few places, but it's more confusing me. Figured I'd give a shot here with my fellow BYC members on recommendations and tips for this.

We have an electric outlet about 50-60 yards from where the start of the fence would be. I thought about running a solar powered Fi-Shock system, but don't know if it would be powerful enough of a shock on these pesky varmints.

I've not yet measured out the ground, but figured a mile of wire would be good. I'm looking at running multiple strands about 4-6 inches apart and come up about 5' high. I may need to go longer than a mile...but won't know until I get some calculations going soon.

Help on this is greatly appreciated.

All you should need is light electric fence wire at 6", 12", 18", 24", 30" and 36" and it should work as long as your charger is strong enough. Don't believe the rating for mileage on the charges they sell. Always buy stronger and more mileage X10. A 50 mileage charger won't be tested by coyotes, fox or neighbors dogs and if they do touch it you will hear it. Make sure you ground the charger with a ground rod.

Thank you. ;)

After a bit more research…the solar powered chargers are out… I'm now in search of an AC charger system. Lowe's sells a 25 mile 1,200 volt (I understand this can vary) AC charger system for about $55. I plan on using T-posts and will have wood end posts with one swing out steel gate.

Zareba is a sister company of Fi-Shock and they actually have a very good planning tool on their site! For those of you considering an electric fence, their Fence Planner will be a good friend of yours. Even if you aren't considering their products, it's a very good tool to use in helping you gather up what is needed: http://fenceplanner.zarebasystems.com

I have horses and have always used solar powered chargers for the electric fence. I have never had problems with it but I do live in sunny NM. When I got chickens I just tied in to the horse fence and it has PLENTY of shock - I know from personal experience unfortunately!!! My dogs were trying to get to the chickens and they learned very quick not to go near it. I have the wire about 6 inches up from the ground, then about a foot above that and another strand up about another foot. You just have to be sure and keep the weeds off the wire or it will ground it out.

Back
Top Bottom