Emergency!!! 4 month old Pullet sick

HappyHippyChick

Songster
Feb 24, 2023
Hello, I have 4, 4 month old pullets and a 4 month old cockerel. One of the pullets is very sick. She seemed to be mild tempered but now I see her decline is rapid. I went to pick her up and her neck was curled down and head a tucked. She is very skinny and her tail is way down. She doesn't seem to be moving much. I picked her up and she cried and can barely stand. I don't know what to do or what she has. I can say a bit about the history. When I first bought the chicks, I brought them home and that night I found out all the chicks had cocci. (I'm not too pleased with the person that sold them to me.) I treated for it for approximately 4 weeks and they seemed to be fine afterwards. I don't see any blood in the poop. I have been feeding them well but they all seemed to be abnormally skinny but they seem to be filling out a bit more. The cockerel is skinny. I have tried to give all of them a variety of foods to try to get them 'fattened' up. Could it be the feed? Could it be cocci? Could it be something worse? Could it be Mareks? I just don't know. I have heard cocci can bring about other sickness's later on after the initial infection? I just don't know and I don't think that pullet is going to make it as she is very sick, unless I can do something for her. Thanks Any suggestions I am open to. One other pullet seems to lowerinf her tail also.

So sorry about your pullet. :hugs

Could you get a picture of her? It sounds like wry neck to me.
Do you have any Nutri-Drench? If not I'd mix one teaspoon of sugar with one cup of warm water. Try to get her to drink as much of it as you can. I'd do this for the whole day. It may help her.

So sorry about your pullet. :hugs

Could you get a picture of her? It sounds like wry neck to me.
Do you have any Nutri-Drench? If not I'd mix one teaspoon of sugar with one cup of warm water. Try to get her to drink as much of it as you can. I'd do this for the whole day. It may help her.
I'll take a picture and post soon. I'll give her some sugar water before I take the picture.
Thanks, I'll be back soon.

Here she is. She just seems so droopy. I noticed yesterday she was holding her head like her chin was stuck to her neck. :hmm

Attachments

• one.png
    one.png
    2 MB · Views: 9
  • two.png
    two.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
  • three.png
    three.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 10
  • four.png
    four.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 9
  • five.png
    five.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 9
Here she is. She just seems so droopy. I noticed yesterday she was holding her head like her chin was stuck to her neck. :hmm
Poor girl, she does indeed have wry neck.
Get some vitamin E 400IU and give her that daily, along with eggs for selenium to more easily absorb the vitamin E. Also get some B complex tablets and give her 1/3 of a tablet a day.

The other two pullets. The one with her back to me seems to be mildly dumpy with her tail down. Do you think it is nutritional?

Attachments

• others.png
    others.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
Poor girl, she does indeed have wry neck.
Get some vitamin E 400IU and give her that daily, along with eggs for selenium to more easily absorb the vitamin E. Also get some B complex tablets and give her 1/3 of a tablet a day.
Thank You so much! I am close to the farm store and will get the Vitamin E 400IU and B complex tabs with eggs. :thumbsup

What's their diet?
I bought a bag of ground organic (corn, soybean, barley, oats, alfalfa, a lot of other things appears vitamins also) but I then bought some (oats, corn, wheat mix) and maybe the oats/corn/wheat may have not been a very good choice. I have been mixing these two feeds.

Back
Top Bottom