Emergency disease! Plz help

Alina28

Songster
Dec 28, 2017
Recently I got a pair of Ayam Cemani chickens(pic below) . They looked fine when i got them. The female started sneezing the next day and had a runny nose. The male also sneezes once in a while but does not have a runny nose. So, I sepearated them from the rest of the flock. Physically they look fine. Eating and drinking, plus they are super fast and its hard to catch them. They are very thin and and scared. I can easily tell the previous owner wasn't taking good care of them. At first i thought it might be due to stress. But the next day One of my chickens started sneezing and my rooster had a runny nose(the ones in my profile pic) , though they look fine , eating ,drinking and playing like usual.

What should i do guys? Any home remedies to cure them?
I can't take them to a vet cause the ones available here are total idiots and i had very bad experiences with them in the past.

Attachments

• IMG_20190517_195150.JPG
    IMG_20190517_195150.JPG
    660.6 KB · Views: 31
It's been strongly advised to quarantine any new birds before introducing to the flock. Where are you located; gives us insight to climate, available supplies, possible predator situations & other general info.

I'd keep a close eye on everyone ... @casportpony will have the answers as well as @dawg53 @azygous @aart @Wyorp Rock @WVduckchick Thankyou all in advance for any help :hugs

Thanks a lot for replying. I live in India in the northern region. Its really hot here right now. The temp goes upto 40 C in the afternoon. Not much is available here reagarding poultry supplies. You can't even find poultry feed or any specific medicines for chickens. There are many predators such as hawks, street dogs and cats and mangoose which is my greatest enemy. They don't attack adult chickens but can kidnap little chicks. Decent vets are not available here. I once took my persian cat to the vet cause she had some fungal infection and even after spending thousands of money she wasn't cured and in the end i had to give her away due to lack of medical facilities.

Last edited:
Either the newcomers were carriers of a respiratory infection and gave them to your birds or your birds already had it but the stress of adding new birds caused it to recur. Either way, your flock was exposed and quarantining after the fact won't change that. (Live and learn.)

Many of the medications recommended here aren't solely intended for chickens, meaning they're used off-label. For example, Tylan 50 or Tylan 200 are labeled for cows but work for chickens in smaller doses.

Antibiotics can help with respiratory infections, depending on what's causing them, but in general, if given healthy stress-free conditions, chickens can get better on their own, similar to people getting a cold.

What medications DO you have access to?

Either the newcomers were carriers of a respiratory infection and gave them to your birds or your birds already had it but the stress of adding new birds caused it to recur. Either way, your flock was exposed and quarantining after the fact won't change that. (Live and learn.)

Many of the medications recommended here aren't solely intended for chickens, meaning they're used off-label. For example, Tylan 50 or Tylan 200 are labeled for cows but work for chickens in smaller doses.

Antibiotics can help with respiratory infections, depending on what's causing them, but in general, if given healthy stress-free conditions, chickens can get better on their own, similar to people getting a cold.

What medications DO you have access to?
I can't get tylan 50 or 200 here. I checked and couldn't find it. I will check tomorrow in the market for any other antibiotic. I can easily get any med for humans here.
Any other you might recommend?

I can't get tylan 50 or 200 here. I checked and couldn't find it. I will check tomorrow in the market for any other antibiotic. I can easily get any med for humans here.
Any other you might recommend?

You have to get a prescription from a vet for those usually. Even some vets who don't actually see chickens can and are willing to write you a script, you're just going to need to call around and check. Push comes to shove, call a livestock vet and get a prescription that way.

@Saaniya is also in India, and knows what medications are available. Respiratory infections can be from a virus such as infectious bronchitis, ILT (infectious laryngo tracheitis,) or bacterial or bacteria-like, as in mycoplasma (MG,) or coryza. Newcastles is another much more severe disease that is common in some parts of the world.

Antibiotics such as Baytril (enrofloxicin,) tylosin, tiamulin, and oxytetracycline can treat MG, and sulfa antibiotics such as sulfamethazine and others may treat coryza.

If you are just seeing sneezing and a slight nasal drainage, it may be a virus which does not respond to antibiotics. But MG can look similar if it is a mild strain. If there is thick mucus, eye bubbles, wheezing, or facial swelling, I would use antibiotics if you keep the birds. Most respiratory diseases make survivors and the other birds carriers, sometimes for life. Sorry that you brought in sick birds. Sometimes stress will cause them to get sick.

Back
Top Bottom