EMERGENCY: dying hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Littleducklady, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Littleducklady

Littleducklady Hatching

Jul 18, 2019
    Her crop feels squishy and a little bit bulgy she laid an egg 2 days ago. Her beak did smell a little sour

2. Littleducklady

Littleducklady Hatching

Jul 18, 2019
    not really mouth breathing. she did have sticky stuff coming from her nose. her beak was smelling sour. her crop feels a little bulgy and squishy

3. TwoChicksChix

TwoChicksChix Songster

May 29, 2019
    West Palm Beach Florida
    So she may have an impacted crop then. You can try massaging it, hoping to break it apart and help it move through her system.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If her crop is squishy, then treat for sour crop.

Wyorp Rock and DobieLover like this.
  5. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Partially Enlightened

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Can you get pictures of her poop?

Have you brought any new birds home in the last couple of months and have you ever had to treat any bird for coccidiosis before?

6. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I'm sorry to have to contradict you, and I know you mean well and are trying to help. But sour crop is dangerous to massage. An impacted crop is the crop disorder you massage to loosen up the obstruction. Massaging a sour crop can cause the sour fluid to back up into the airway and cause pneumonia if it doesn't kill the chicken right off.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

AmyJane725, Wyorp Rock and Texas Kiki like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: