Emergency!!!! Need help diagnosing sick chicken!!!

Hi @chicken-parent :frow Welcome To BYC

Is she sneezing, coughing or having any mucous from the nostrils?
Is her beak clear of mucous or any lesions/plaques?

Watery eyes and difficulty breathing can be symptoms of respiratory illness - many of which have very similar symptoms so it's hard to know which one you are dealing with unless you have some testing performed.

Infectious Bronchitis, ILT, Mycoplasma and Infectious Coryza are a few of the most common respiratory illnesses - antibiotics may help with secondary bacterial infections - injectable Tylan50 which can be given orally or by injection may help. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

If you are seeing white discharge coming from the eyes, try to keep that cleared away by flushing with saline and wiping it away. You can apply an ophthalmic ointment like Terramycin or Vetericyn eye gel to the eyes.

Do your best to keep her drinking, separate her so you can give her some extra care - make sure she has ventilation.

Keep us posted.
Here's an update: Yesterday we bought her the Tylan 50 and have been giving her shots in her breast along with cleaning her eyes with Saline until we're able to get the Terramycin. I've noticed she's been eating very little, drinking lots, and her comb is pale. Should I be worried?

Oh my mom and I did that while we were at the feed place!! Also here are some pictures of her, I forgot to mention I think that her face is a bit swollen too since her eyelids sort of droop over her eyes and I know this isnt normal because we have another RIR thats face isnt like that AT ALL. Also in the photo I hope you can see the discharge in her eye and that her beak is a bit open in order to breath.
I am so sad.

Is sour crop a possibility? This happened to one of our Rhode Island Red girls. Symptoms are lethargy, lack of appetite and distancing. Along with full, "Squishy" crop and foul odor from mouth.

Emergency!!! Need help diagnosing sick chicken!!

So I have a rhode island red with me whose been acting strangely the past couple of weeks where she's been:

-Distancing herself from the others
-Lethargic
-Lack of appetite

And when I told my mother about it, she just told me ahe was fine until today when she brought up her eyes where watery and she hid beneath the hen house! I looked around on the forums and else where and found that it might be possibly Coryza?? We decided to isolate her and she just rested a lot, upon closer examination when I picked her up, I noticed her mouth was open like she was breathing from there and some white discharge started to come out her eyes!! She's about 5 months, not laying any eggs yet. I was hoping someone could help me make sure that Im correct about ot being Coryza because we plan on getting her some Tylan tomorrow!!! Also if you guys have any tips to help me out with this, please tell me!
s sour

Yeah, it does look a lot like a respiratory illness.. I would recommend making sure she has water at all times, and keep a very close eye on the other chickens to make sure they don't have it either, and try csthing it as early as possible if any others do. Othe than that, I agree with the others! We had a hen with brown chitis, but luckily it wasn't bad (for some reason we didn't separate her, but the others are areally perfectly fine) so, since my mom is a vet tech, we gave her one injection every day for 3 days of a combination between baytril (I have no idea howhat to spell it) and IV fluids. In a few days she was perfectly fine. I hope this helps at all!
:D

Yeah, it does look a lot like a respiratory illness.. I would recommend making sure she has water at all times, and keep a very close eye on the other chickens to make sure they don't have it either, and try csthing it as early as possible if any others do. Othe than that, I agree with the others! We had a hen with brown chitis, but luckily it wasn't bad (for some reason we didn't separate her, but the others are areally perfectly fine) so, since my mom is a vet tech, we gave her one injection every day for 3 days of a combination between baytril (I have no idea howhat to spell it) and IV fluids. In a few days she was perfectly fine. I hope this helps at all!
:D
Exactly what I thought! We make sure she's hydrated at all times and have been on the look out to see if any were infected, but so far the rest seem fine! One of them started laying eggs for a matter of fact. We're not sure exaclty what she has, but I really hope she'll be able to make it through :(

Here's an update: Yesterday we bought her the Tylan 50 and have been giving her shots in her breast along with cleaning her eyes with Saline until we're able to get the Terramycin. I've noticed she's been eating very little, drinking lots, and her comb is pale. Should I be worried?

The injectable Tylan50 can be given orally, as well as, by injection in case you didn't know.
What dosage are you giving her?

Drinking is good, but see if she will eat some of her normal feed. You can make it into a wet mash and offer some chopped egg or tuna to entice her.

If she is drinking a lot, then check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight.

Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom