emergency please need help ASAP (Oh no.. now Mr perty is feeling bad)Graphic description

Quote:
Really an Owl hit?
I skinned her completely to check for any underlying damage and found nothing at all, not a bite or bruise one.

But you were right she had a sinus infection and that is what killed her.

Quote:
Just incase you need to know you give a bantom hen 0.03mls and a large fowl 0.04mls, you go by there weight & size so you will probley need the 0.04mls. Inject into the left breast and wait 24 hours before injecting into the right breast. Hope you dont ever need this advice but just incase. So sorry about your loss hun
hugs.gif

Thank you for the info,
i hope it does not happen again either cause i got a 12 hour warning something was wrong and then she was gone.
I never seen a bird go so fast but now i understand what happen, just wish i knew what caused it and how to stop it from happening again.

Have a great 2012
hugs.gif

I am really sorry for your loss... She was beautiful.
hugs.gif

If you ever needed to treat all of the birds you can also inject meds into grapes or pieces of bread or something.

Quote:
Really an Owl hit?
I skinned her completely to check for any underlying damage and found nothing at all, not a bite or bruise one.

But you were right she had a sinus infection and that is what killed her.

I thought I read she had a small injury? Sometimes an owl will hit a peahen from a tree- flushing her and she'll survive with just an injury or die from a talon puncture and impact damage. Sinus infections are awful.

Sinus infection. .,.could have come from a injury. Or soomething damaging the throat. Peafowl will
pick up objects..i would catch one of the others and check tbe sinus.

Watch and see if any others are yawning. Or acting like they sre having hard time breathing.

Last edited:
Thanks Deerman,

The infecion i was able to remove from Lady Di was pulled from the hole behind her tounge ,so i assume bacteria can enter into there causing a sinus infetion "Right" ?

If another comes down with the same thing, do you think it would be a good idea to treat all the peas or just treat them as i find them ill?

Bad thing is Lady was down before i knew something serious was wrong, i thought she may have just landed wrong comming down from the feeder platform as i have seen this happen to another pea and he was fine in a couple days.

Deerman ,
where would i look for infection ? i did not see an infection when i looked in ladys mouth at first exam only after i had took her head back out for a second look, i guess hanging upside dowm made it start draining from that whole behind the tounge, no swelling at all.
hu.gif

All i saw the first time was a bit of grain and water dripping out from her crop.

All this time i have always looked for swollen eye sockets, now i am just not sure.
Oh well we live we learn.
Thank you for the help my friends.

Quote:
Thats a great idea if they all ate from my hands,however i have 14 free ranging together and one could get to many grapes as not all of them eat out of my hand.

Lady was the first to eat from my hand after 7 months of raising her, all the older peas learned it was safe from her and ate from my hand as well.
Some of my baby peas have stated eating out of my hand at 7 months so i think that must be the magic number.

Mabe it takes so long for them to eat from my hand because i have to catch them once in a while for the ivemec treatment which makes them leary of me for a few days, but hay i am the food bringer and they know that cause they all come running when i call them.

Thank you for the idea and kind words.

Back
Top Bottom