Estimating bedding amounts for coop

Lots of these questions are super variable right now, we’re pretty new to chickens are finding our preferences. Adjusting flock size to keep favourites and merging brooder batches, finishing coop design…

Just heard about poop boards, I’d like to use them when we finalise perches

Right now there’s 2 older pullets in the main coop area, 9 small pullets in a prefab in the coop, then 8 varied ages in my washroom. 3 outside babies are pending pickup, 1 inside is undecided pending breed

The older girls have access to a small run that’s predator proofed at all time. The babies are released around 7 am and put themselves to bed at nightfall. I’m considering leaving the prefab open soon so they can fully merge into the flock, then the brooder babies can move outside soon. The older girls free range when I’m home during the day
We all struggle at first to find what works best for us.

No one right answer, thousands of wrong ones. Lets us know how we can help, lots of experience here, and many happy to share their opinions. "Observe and adjust" is a practical, pragmatic responsible strategy when reality diverges from theory.

Math check. 4" deep is 1/3 of a foot. 80 sq ft, 1/3 foot depth, is 24 cu feet - 3 bags.

I think your finger missed the 3 key. 3" is 1/4 foot, 20 cu ft, 2.5 bags.

6", of course, is 40 cu ft, 5 bags.

No, my dyscalcula kicked in. :lau

Learning disabilities are FUN!

I refuse to be embarrassed about it and am happy to be corrected. I will edit above so as not to confuse the OP.

Is there some kind of formula for how much bedding you’ll need for a coop? I can’t store extra if I get too much at the moment and making a million trips if I need more is a pain. Coop is 8x10 and I’m doing shavings or possibly pellets
Do you use poop boards?
How many birds are you housing in the coop?
How long are they locked up in the coop before being released to the run or let out to free range?
All these things make a difference.
For the initial bed down, I would use three bags of large flake pine shavings.

The bag of shavings says how many cubic feet it covers. TSC's Large Flake shavings expand to 8 cubic feet.

8x10 is 80 square feet. To cover it 4 inches deep would require 26.6 cubic feet -- 3 bags. So three bags would make a nice layer to start with.

I recommend Deep Bedding if it suits your management style. One of the advantages is that it requires less bedding over time: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/using-deep-bedding-in-a-small-coop.76343/

(Edited due to the math error so kindly corrected below).
Ooooh, I had no idea it was on the bags! Never thought to even look 🤦🏽‍♀️

One great thing about the bags of pine shavings from TSC is how compact they are. Until you open them, of course.

I'll be getting another one to put in my coop soon. I like cutting the plastic from around the bale and letting the birds "play" with it and spread it around. After they get done being freaked out by it, of course.

Back
Top Bottom