"Evening wear?"

Quote:
Braggart
tongue2.gif

I especially like the farmer's tan.
tongue.png

I love the one with the metal detail- I'd never be able to pull that one off w/o chickens and a stylist.

Quote:
Braggart
tongue2.gif

I especially like the farmer's tan.
tongue.png

I love the one with the metal detail- I'd never be able to pull that one off w/o chickens and a stylist.

Your tan is SOOO chic and the chicken makes it even more avant garde.

Did the bride mention the dress code on the invite? If she said something like 'Black Tie Optional' that means that you will want to find a nice dress that's no higher than knee length.

Evening wear typically means no short (ie, knee length or shorter) gowns. How do I know this? Because I just got married a year ago and I had to figure out what to tell my guests!!!

Super ultra formal is what stars wear to the Oscars. You don't need to find a floor length fancy get-up like that!
smile.png
That would be 'White Tie Optional'.

I would also ask the bride if it's ok to wear a Little Black Dress, usually and traditionally wearing all black to a wedding means that the person doing the wearing is in mourning -- that they do NOT agree with the marriage, and if your bride is a traditional sort, then you may just want to clear that up with her. Personally I had to insist that my mother wear a color other than black to my wedding . . . she didn't know about the traditional etiquette about wearing black and when I told her about it she was surprised. She finally wore a pink dress with a black chiffon scarf with big pink flowers on it.

My MIL, who at that time was still in mourning for her husband, my FIL and my husband's step-father (he'd died less than 6 months previously from cancer) wore navy blue, but everybody who came to the wedding knew why she was dressed so soberly and didn't have any issues. Mom, however, pointed to MIL and said, 'She's wearing navy, why can't I wear black?' *after* I'd told her that black would be incredibly inappropriate.

That's my mom! LOL!

If you are a pear shape an A-line would be perfect for you, and a pretty halter top or cap-sleeved scoop neckline would also be good since you're blessed by not being top heavy. Trust me, I'm quite large up top and I cannot wear dresses (I have to wear two pieces, or shirts or suits) because my 'curves' make the line of the garment look all wrong and quite unattractive.

Another style to look into would be something with an Empire waist with spaghetti straps (and a pretty detail of some sort at the waistline), again because you are ideally shaped for that cut, if you can find one with a flared or loose skirt, ie, in the 'Greek' style, so much the better!

JC Penny, surprisingly, has a really good selection of nice dresses that can either be dressed up or down with a bit of jewelry and the right shoes, and they won't break the bank.

Post pics when you find one!

Whitewater

Quote:
We told everyone to wear what was comfy and bring a change of clothes...volleyball at the reception! It was 104* that day, but it was fun and everyone was happy. It was potluck, too.

Quote:
I agree, ask the bride. BUT, wearing black to a wedding is really not the faux pas it once was. Especially it it's to be held in the evening at a nice venue. I have seen bridesmaids in black dresses and it looked stunning. If you do choose to wear black though, I would try to brighten it up bright colored accessories like a scarf, a shrug, jewelery . . . So it doesn't look somber. Bright colors and contrast are fashionable! Same thing with white, you can do a white dress as long as you don't look like you're the bride. Having a white dress has only really been popular for 200 years, I see a lot of brides choosing differently. In the 19th century you wore your nicest dress, whatever the color. . . White wasn't popular until Queen Victoria chose white for her wedding gown. Fashion rules are always in flux!

Our wedding was a pretty informal affair. *sigh* Good times.

Back
Top Bottom