Ever feel really stupid?

Dixiedoodle

Songster
12 Years
Apr 14, 2007
I have 11 Ameraucanas that are about 10wks old. I am having a really hard time deciding who is a pullet and who is a roo... So, while they were free ranging today, I decided to crow (I am pretty good at getting roos to 'answer' me..)hoping that maybe ONE of the roos would answer... So, I let it rip--well -- it didn't go as I had planned...the big girls hauled tail to their coop, knocking the little chicks down who were running to and fro trying to find shelter--from the horrible monster! EVERYONE was in panic mode! you have never seen 18 chickens of all ages, sizes and colors moving in so many different directions, @ such a high rate of speed!! I felt so stupid, I was very glad NO one else was there to witness it! The chickens forgave me and resumed their daily free range! But Ruby, my favorite RIR, kept looking at me and fussing in a low voice....as if to say---"you are one crazy human"!

At least they'll know you're top roo around there.
lol.png

Mine are 11 weeks old now and I know which one is the roo (the free one) because all the girls I ordered were black sex-links (so I kinda cheated). But usually you can tell the roos around that age because their combs are bigger/redder and they start acting cocky. You should hear the strangled sound of juvenile crowing any day now!
wink.png

Not to crazy. I just got chickens last weekend and I've already started to try and talk to them in chicken.

i do a very poor imitation of a hawk cry that sends mine into quite a state of run for the hills as well. i figure it's actually a pretty good thing to know if i ever need them to run for their lives at my bidding. now you know what to do if a big old owl comes swooping onto your property.

not so stupid afterall.

Back
Top Bottom