1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ever feel really stupid?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dixiedoodle, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I have 11 Ameraucanas that are about 10wks old. I am having a really hard time deciding who is a pullet and who is a roo... So, while they were free ranging today, I decided to crow (I am pretty good at getting roos to 'answer' me..)hoping that maybe ONE of the roos would answer... So, I let it rip--well -- it didn't go as I had planned...the big girls hauled tail to their coop, knocking the little chicks down who were running to and fro trying to find shelter--from the horrible monster! EVERYONE was in panic mode! you have never seen 18 chickens of all ages, sizes and colors moving in so many different directions, @ such a high rate of speed!! I felt so stupid, I was very glad NO one else was there to witness it! The chickens forgave me and resumed their daily free range! But Ruby, my favorite RIR, kept looking at me and fussing in a low voice....as if to say---"you are one crazy human"!

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

*snort*

Boy, I bet they thought there was SOME major threat, with the human crowing like that! And to find out there was nothing, that's definitely why your hen mumbled about it.

3. journey11

journey11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    WV
    At least they'll know you're top roo around there. [​IMG]

Mine are 11 weeks old now and I know which one is the roo (the free one) because all the girls I ordered were black sex-links (so I kinda cheated). But usually you can tell the roos around that age because their combs are bigger/redder and they start acting cocky. You should hear the strangled sound of juvenile crowing any day now! [​IMG]

4. Mrsfoote

Mrsfoote Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    [​IMG] I had tears reading this post...made my whole night:clap

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Love it!

6. dbmkay

dbmkay Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2010
    Not to crazy. I just got chickens last weekend and I've already started to try and talk to them in chicken.

7. midd2005

midd2005 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Oahu
    i do a very poor imitation of a hawk cry that sends mine into quite a state of run for the hills as well. i figure it's actually a pretty good thing to know if i ever need them to run for their lives at my bidding. now you know what to do if a big old owl comes swooping onto your property.

not so stupid afterall.

8. Chic-Zebo Girl

Chic-Zebo Girl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2010
    Delton, MI
    [​IMG] Pretty darn cute as well as funny. PS. I'm glad I live out of earshot of your neighborhool or I might head for the hills as well. [​IMG]

9. WiMoSiFr

WiMoSiFr Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2010
    Germany
    That's hilarious!! [​IMG] Sounds like something I would try. [​IMG]

10. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Ha! That was funny. [​IMG] I could totally visualize that. Thanks for making me laugh during my early morning hours of insomnia.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by