Experimenting with a few meat birds as pets

Pics
I can definetly borrow another crate, but the biggest issue is another heat lamp. I'll scout around and see if I have anything they wont out grow so fast. If not, I do have something else that will work, but the opening isn't great.

It might be possible to put two wire crates side-by-side, and have a single heat lamp make a warm spot in both of them. That would work better once the chicks are a bit older, so they don't need quite so much heat.

You might want to start with them all in one crate for the first few days, even if you do decide to split them up as they get bigger.

It might be possible to put two wire crates side-by-side, and have a single heat lamp make a warm spot in both of them. That would work better once the chicks are a bit older, so they don't need quite so much heat.

You might want to start with them all in one crate for the first few days, even if you do decide to split them up as they get bigger.
Thats a good idea. I have one wire crate, and one plastic crate, I think she has a wire crate I can borrow, its smaller, but not tiny so I'll see what I can do. Surly they'll be fine in the single crate for a few days, but I was mostly worried abbot them out growing it like stated above. I think I can get the two crates next to each other to work, I have a few days so I'll get something together. Thanks for all the help!

Who old do you think they are? Their older then I expected, the feed store must have had them for a few weeks, their not fluffy little guys, they have at least half their feathers, and I think I can already guess sex. I'm thinking 2 weeks old? Give or take a week. :confused:
IMG_7682.jpg

IMG_7687.jpg

Not great pics, I know. You get the idea in the pics, but I can get better ones in the morning. The second pic is Doodle, she's very light and have a tiny comb, I'm very certain she's a girl. Especially next to others I am very certain are roosters. Any age guesses? Or do you need better pics?
PS. I am using nail polish for horse hooves to mark Doodle and Smudge, so its safe for animals. :)

Who old do you think they are? Their older then I expected, the feed store must have had them for a few weeks, their not fluffy little guys, they have at least half their feathers, and I think I can already guess sex. I'm thinking 2 weeks old? Give or take a week. :confused:
I found a thread with week-by-week pictures of chicks. By comparing with that, I would say yours are between 2 and 3 weeks old:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...growth-helpful-if-youre-unsure-of-age.884353/

I found a thread with week-by-week pictures of chicks. By comparing with that, I would say yours are between 2 and 3 weeks old:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...growth-helpful-if-youre-unsure-of-age.884353/
Thank you! I'm gonna assume a little over 2 weeks. Since I am not 100% certain of their age, how long do you think until I should start restricting feed to Doodle and Smudge?

Some how last night, the flock raiser didn't make it into our car when we picked up the chicks. So last night and today, they have no food. I know they'll probably be fine, shipped chicks go without food, but I am giving them chunks of grass and leaf litter for them to nibble on. Will they be okay until this afternoon?

Were going to pick up an 18% Organic Purina starter, and give that to all of them. Then, I'll order the Kalmbach meat bird (all natural, Non-GMO,) today, so when we run out of the other stuff, I can give the dinner birds the 22% and then keep Doodle and Smudge on an 18% Kalmbach starer until they lay, then I will put them on Layer.

Some how last night, the flock raiser didn't make it into our car when we picked up the chicks. So last night and today, they have no food. I know they'll probably be fine, shipped chicks go without food, but I am giving them chunks of grass and leaf litter for them to nibble on. Will they be okay until this afternoon?
GIVE THEM FOOD.

Any kind of chicken food would be better than no food. Any crumble chicken food, or pellets that are wetted with water so they get soft and can be eaten by little chicks, or duck food or quail food... Yes, layer food would be fine for half a day--the extra calcium is not a problem unless they eat it for quite a while.

Shipped chicks are not the same. They absorb the egg yolk right before they hatch, and that is their food for several days.

Thank you! I'm gonna assume a little over 2 weeks. Since I am not 100% certain of their age, how long do you think until I should start restricting feed to Doodle and Smudge?
I don't know for sure about that.

If you want to move them to a separate pen, maybe you could start by measuring how much food they really do eat now, to get an idea of how much would be right later. Their food needs do go up with age, so they should always need at least the amount they eat now.

Last edited:
GIVE THEM FOOD.

Any kind of chicken food would be better than no food. Any crumble chicken food, or pellets that are wetted with water so they get soft and can be eaten by little chicks, or duck food or quail food... Yes, layer food would be fine for half a day--the extra calcium is not a problem unless they eat it for quite a while.

Shipped chicks are not the same. They absorb the egg yolk right before they hatch, and that is their food for several days.
Thank you! I will! I had to double check, I have layer, that wont harm them for just the afternoon right? Thanks again! Going to feed them now!

Last edited:
GIVE THEM FOOD.

I don't know for sure about that.

If you want to move them to a separate pen, maybe you could start by measuring how much food they really do eat now, to get an idea of how much would be right later. Their food needs do go up with age, so they should always need at least the amount they eat now.
Got it, I will try to see who much they eat now, I was suggested 3/4 a day as adults, but I will try to find out who much they eat.

Back
Top Bottom