Explain what happens when you 'follow members.'

Discussion in 'BYC Website & Forum Feedback & Announcements' started by Sandstorm495, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Sandstorm495

Sandstorm495 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Darwin, Australia
    When you click 'follow member', what does that do and do you recieve notifications? Explain, please!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It's basically the same thing as subscribing to a thread. The member name shows up in your subscriptions list. You get email updates the same as for a thread: you choose how often or whether to get them when you click "follow."

There is also a list of who you are following in your profile, on the right after you click "profile."

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  3. Sandstorm495

Dec 2, 2012
    Darwin, Australia
    So flockwatcher, (or anyone else) is there a way to not get emails because i don't want to receive any or is the only way to un-subscribe?

4. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Go to your subscriptions (upper right hand corner of any page) and change the dropdown box to "site only." This is the only thing I use. I have to click on "subscriptions" to check threads I've subscribed to, or people I've followed. Same thing when you subscribe or follow initially: choose "site only." Make the same selection in your profile.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  5. I *follow* Rob and have never gotten any notices, updates, or anything at all (???).

6. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    It is mostly a miss thing for me. Sometimes I get notices but rarely. I have several friends I follow but they usually have to let me know they have responded to something on a thread because this is another feature that does not work for me on BYC.

7. Sandstorm495

Dec 2, 2012
    Darwin, Australia

Yeah..I don't understand it. It's not working for me and like Dipsy, I'm not recieving any notifications of what they're doing.
    anyway does the person you follow get notified that you're following them?

8. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    They only know you are following them if they try to follow you back. It will say then that you are following each other. If that still works. Who knows?
    I follow a few people but seldom get any notices when they post. One of those many "improvements" that is still being worked on. Most of us just don't bother to trust it anymore and email or PM each other to go look.

9. Is there any way to tell who's following you?

10. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    No, this function isn't offered, sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by