What’s happening

Mommanoe

Chirping
Jul 25, 2023
So my lady duck Wednesday has started screaming and being slightly rude. So I decided to candle her eggs and this is what I have found the has 8 total eggs. Only 3 are looking like maybe something. I am letting her tend to them and not interfering at all I have never had my ducks get this far in the process what should I do. And maybe if anyone knows how far along are we? Does this explain her attitude?

Attachments

• IMG_8988.jpeg
    IMG_8988.jpeg
    164.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8985.jpeg
    IMG_8985.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8987.jpeg
    IMG_8987.jpeg
    71.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8986.jpeg
    IMG_8986.jpeg
    79.3 KB · Views: 7
I can def see life in 2 you probably can see if there is life if the 3rd the fourth doesn't look like anything yet but leave it a few more days it just might be behind. The eggs are around 5-7 day incubated

What your seeing is broody behavior they will protect their egg's nest and ducklings once they hatch. If she is inside a coop with other birds and drakes she needs some privacy I can set up space inside my coop so the other ducks and chickens can't get to her nest or her ducklings once they hatch. Even an xlarge dog crate can work as a safe place for mama and ducklings. Make sure she comes out everyday to eat drink bathe and poop. I don't put food and water close to where they are brooding so they have to come outside daily.

I can def see life in 2 you probably can see if there is life if the 3rd the fourth doesn't look like anything yet but leave it a few more days it just might be behind. The eggs are around 5-7 day incubated

What your seeing is broody behavior they will protect their egg's nest and ducklings once they hatch. If she is inside a coop with other birds and drakes she needs some privacy I can set up space inside my coop so the other ducks and chickens can't get to her nest or her ducklings once they hatch. Even an xlarge dog crate can work as a safe place for mama and ducklings. Make sure she comes out everyday to eat drink bathe and poop. I don't put food and water close to where they are brooding so they have to come outside daily.
So the other eggs there are 8 total should I rid of those or leave them there are a few with no live at all

As Miss Lydia said, give it a few more days they may be behind in development. THEN you can toss any that don't look good.

Or crack them and give them to the other birds to eat. Good protein for them.

As Miss Lydia said, give it a few more days they may be behind in development. THEN you can toss any that don't look good.

Or crack them and give them to the other birds to eat. Good protein for them.
This is where we are tonight. Side note I do not disturb her I only check on the eggs when she is away and she always comes and watches with ease. I’m the only one she will allow by her nest we will be setting up a privacy fence of some sort for her this weekend but when I let the dogs out I always stand guard and that also seems to help with her stress.

Attachments

• IMG_8994.jpeg
    IMG_8994.jpeg
    113.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8993.jpeg
    IMG_8993.jpeg
    72.5 KB · Views: 4
It looks like two this far I’m gonna toss a few that just look see through with no color whatsoever and track the rest for a few more days thank you so much as soon as I do another candling I’ll post more picture. I’m super excited
It looks like two this far I’m gonna toss a few that just look see through with no color whatsoever and track the rest for a few more days thank you so much as soon as I do another candling I’ll post more picture. I’m super excited

Just checking miss Lydia these are the two I have the others are not viable if I throw the others out will she still sit on these two they both have movement

Attachments

• IMG_9055.png
    IMG_9055.png
    432.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9054.png
    IMG_9054.png
    787.8 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom