External pip but no hatch and pip at wrong end

May 5, 2018
I have 6 chicken eggs incubating at the moment. It’s day 20, and my one egg has externally pipped at 7 A.M. and it’s now 11:17 am and it hasn’t hatched. How long after an external pip can it take for them to hatch? He was chirping a lot earlier and now chirps here and there. I also noticed another egg has popped at the wrong end and I don’t know what to do. :( Temp is 99.5 and humidity is 65%

EDIT: another one pipped at the wrong end so now I have 2 at the wrong end. :(

Last edited:
Sometime a few hours, some will take a day or 2. I had some eggs that pipped and didn’t hatched until over 24 hours later, while some it only take 20-45 minutes while we watch.

Sometime a few hours, some will take a day or 2. I had some eggs that pipped and didn’t hatched until over 24 hours later, while some it only take 20-45 minutes while we watch.
Thank you very much. Any advice on what I should do about the one that pipped on the wrong end? I’m so worried :(

There are threads that address these issues, I just couldn’t find the one I read few months ago from one guy that has excellent guide on assist hatch. Check sally sunshine’s post she has a lot of good stuff.

Though I assist a couple of hatches and they were very successful, I am not confident enough to give such instruction, though personally I will do it again if need so. My first assist was with an egg that pipped over 30 hours but couldn’t zip, the exposed membrane are drying out and was longer than expected. I carefully peel off a few of egg shells around the pip hole and use warm water (some people use Vaseline or some kind of oil) to moist the exposed dried membrane and continue on as long as there was no blood vessels injured that can cause bleeding. I’ve used a tweezer and a surgical scissor to do the job, made sure that the egg yolk been absorbed so I continue on, and put back the hatched chick in the incubator to dry and fluff and rested, that took 6-8 hours. Later on discovered that the chick had trouble with spry leg so I taped them and she was able to stand and walk, removed the tapes a day later and she was normal as can be.

The 2nd time I had to assist was last week when one of my Olive Egger egg in a different incubator, seem to pipped on the wrong end it also been the 2nd day. This time I had to feel off very carefully since I don’t know where the beak was, end up was behind the wing cartilage, the reason it’s having hard time coming out, since each time it pecks out it peckS on its own wings. I also used warm water for moisture on the shell and membrane then I exposed the beak and head and let it finished it’s own hatching which probably took 6 hours when I came back from work.

There are threads that address these issues, I just couldn’t find the one I read few months ago from one guy that has excellent guide on assist hatch. Check sally sunshine’s post she has a lot of good stuff.

Though I assist a couple of hatches and they were very successful, I am not confident enough to give such instruction, though personally I will do it again if need so. My first assist was with an egg that pipped over 30 hours but couldn’t zip, the exposed membrane are drying out and was longer than expected. I carefully peel off a few of egg shells around the pip hole and use warm water (some people use Vaseline or some kind of oil) to moist the exposed dried membrane and continue on as long as there was no blood vessels injured that can cause bleeding. I’ve used a tweezer and a surgical scissor to do the job, made sure that the egg yolk been absorbed so I continue on, and put back the hatched chick in the incubator to dry and fluff and rested, that took 6-8 hours. Later on discovered that the chick had trouble with spry leg so I taped them and she was able to stand and walk, removed the tapes a day later and she was normal as can be.

The 2nd time I had to assist was last week when one of my Olive Egger egg in a different incubator, seem to pipped on the wrong end it also been the 2nd day. This time I had to feel off very carefully since I don’t know where the beak was, end up was behind the wing cartilage, the reason it’s having hard time coming out, since each time it pecks out it peckS on its own wings. I also used warm water for moisture on the shell and membrane then I exposed the beak and head and let it finished it’s own hatching which probably took 6 hours when I came back from work.
Thank you very very much. It’s all so worrying. My one that pipped on the correct end still hasn’t done anything yet :( and I don’t hear anymore peeps from it. I’m so worried and scared because I just lots a hatch about a month ago due to my old incubator going out completely.

Thank you very very much. It’s all so worrying. My one that pipped on the correct end still hasn’t done anything yet :( and I don’t hear anymore peeps from it. I’m so worried and scared because I just lots a hatch about a month ago due to my old incubator going out completely.

Your welcome! Let your incubator do it’s job regarding the temps and humidity, and hatching, sometimes we’re too anxious to help that might do more damage. Let your wise instinct intervene when it’s needed. Some will say the ones that hatched are the strong ones and some that didn’t are not meant to be. I agree to the extent, but also we have innate capacity to save and help in perfect timing, reasons there’s gifted doctors and medical workers that can help us when needed.

Looking for help! I have a Silkie hen that hatched out 18 chicks. I’m wondering if anybody nows the record or if anybody point me in the right direction. Thanks

That is a good hatch for a Silkie, if you meant that she hatched 18 chicks at one time sitting. I don’t think you need help, that cause for celebration and bragging. :celebrate

Your welcome! Let your incubator do it’s job regarding the temps and humidity, and hatching, sometimes we’re too anxious to help that might do more damage. Let your wise instinct intervene when it’s needed. Some will say the ones that hatched are the strong ones and some that didn’t are not meant to be. I agree to the extent, but also we have innate capacity to save and help in perfect timing, reasons there’s gifted doctors and medical workers that can help us when needed.
I couldn’t agree more! I’ve only ever hatched our turkey eggs so chickens are a bit different in my experience.

Sit on your hands. :D they get really quiet and sleep. mine are usually 8 - 12 hours being quiet before they make a second pip and then its still around 3 more hours before they start zipping. if they've pipped the wrong end it's even longer.

you might be able to see them nibbling at the membrane if the pip is open enough. That should reassure you that they're ok. you won't be able to see that on all of them. Just the ones where you can see their beak poking out. :D

Back
Top Bottom