Extra sleepy two day old chick keeps eyes closed a lot

Pics

Dr Evy

Bird Nerd
Premium Feather Member
Apr 12, 2021
Minnesota
Hi I just made an account for this so I’m not really sure if I’m posting on the right thing or not but I need some guidance. I’m new at raising chicks this is my first time. I hatched 8 baby Wyandotte chickens this Friday and Saturday and all seemed well at first. This evening I noticed that one of the chicks was just not moving around as much as the others so I decided to take a look at him. He keeps his eyes closed almost all the time one of them he doesn’t open at all the other he will open momentarily but then closes. He falls asleep almost immediately when I put him back in the brooder and only moves when the other chicks tumble over him. I was reading that I should get some electrolyte packets but I’m not able to leave my house tonight to get any. I also can’t separate him because I don’t have any lamps left to keep him warm with. My last lamp I’m using for the two I separated from sprayed leg.
I also used a coffee grinder and grinded up their food a bit and made some mash because I thought it was a bit to big for their tiny mouths. Is there anything else I can do tonight to help him? Does anyone know what’s wrong with him?
Also I don’t have any other chickens, just these babies so he couldn’t have gotten anything from other chickens.
Just checked on him again and he’s eating the mash with the other chicks so maybe that’s a sign of improvement? Haven’t seen him drink any water today but I’ll watch him really close. Here’s a picture of him
He also doesn’t struggle at all when I pick him up, just kind of closes his eyes.
Please someone help! I’m really worried about him.
image.jpg

Hi I just made an account for this so I’m not really sure if I’m posting on the right thing or not but I need some guidance. I’m new at raising chicks this is my first time. I hatched 8 baby Wyandotte chickens this Friday and Saturday and all seemed well at first. This evening I noticed that one of the chicks was just not moving around as much as the others so I decided to take a look at him. He keeps his eyes closed almost all the time one of them he doesn’t open at all the other he will open momentarily but then closes. He falls asleep almost immediately when I put him back in the brooder and only moves when the other chicks tumble over him. I was reading that I should get some electrolyte packets but I’m not able to leave my house tonight to get any. I also can’t separate him because I don’t have any lamps left to keep him warm with. My last lamp I’m using for the two I separated from sprayed leg.
I also used a coffee grinder and grinded up their food a bit and made some mash because I thought it was a bit to big for their tiny mouths. Is there anything else I can do tonight to help him? Does anyone know what’s wrong with him?
Also I don’t have any other chickens, just these babies so he couldn’t have gotten anything from other chickens.
Just checked on him again and he’s eating the mash with the other chicks so maybe that’s a sign of improvement? Haven’t seen him drink any water today but I’ll watch him really close. Here’s a picture of him
He also doesn’t struggle at all when I pick him up, just kind of closes his eyes.
Please someone help! I’m really worried about him.View attachment 2613476
Do you have any Poultry nutri-drench you can add to the mash? Did you make the ground for into a wet mash? If not, do that. If also scramble and couple of egg yolks and offer the weak one that too.
Some chicks just don't thrive and don't make it.

I just checked on him again, all the other chicks are sleeping, and it looks as though he’s sleeping too but he’s sleeping standing up. He hasn’t laid down in over an hour. He just stands there. I’m really worried that maybe this is something that could spread to the rest of the chicks even though they all seem pretty healthy so far. I really don’t want to lose them all please tell me if I should figure out a way to separate him or not. This is my first time and I really don’t want it to be a failure. I’m sitting by the brooder now and they all got up and started eating even the sickly one. I think he’s eating the most so maybe it was that the food was to big and he wasn’t getting enough nutrition? If anyone has any idea what’s going on please let me know :(

Do you have any Poultry nutri-drench you can add to the mash? Did you make the ground for into a wet mash? If not, do that. If also scramble and couple of egg yolks and offer the weak one that too.
Some chicks just don't thrive and don't make it.
What is the poultry nutri-drench? Their food is call Sprout and it’s medicated so is that the same thing? I did make it wet mash and they’re really enjoying it. I’ll make the eggs now. Thank you for responding!

I just checked on him again, all the other chicks are sleeping, and it looks as though he’s sleeping too but he’s sleeping standing up. He hasn’t laid down in over an hour. He just stands there. I’m really worried that maybe this is something that could spread to the rest of the chicks even though they all seem pretty healthy so far. I really don’t want to lose them all please tell me if I should figure out a way to separate him or not. This is my first time and I really don’t want it to be a failure. I’m sitting by the brooder now and they all got up and started eating even the sickly one. I think he’s eating the most so maybe it was that the food was to big and he wasn’t getting enough nutrition? If anyone has any idea what’s going on please let me know :(
At that age it's nearly impossible for it to have contracted and developed an illness that could spread to the others.
It's likely just suffering from failure to thrive and all you can do is give it warmth and a nutritional boost.
Is their food chick starter? What percent protein does it offer?

At that age it's nearly impossible for it to have contracted and developed an illness that could spread to the others.
It's likely just suffering from failure to thrive and all you can do is give it warmth and a nutritional boost.
Is their food chick starter? What percent protein does it offer?
Okay so I don’t have any of that poultry nutri-drench but I can try and pick some up tomorrow. Do you know where I can find it? Their food is chick starter and it has 18% protein. Do you think I should still separate the chick? He keeps getting pushed around by the other ones. He was very excited by the mush but had a hard time getting to it because the others were all at it. Since I don’t have another lamp though if I were to separate him would it be possible I could start up the incubator and put him back in there? Or is that a bad idea? I’ve been doing a lot of research but haven’t been able to find the answers to my questions! Also he just opened his eye that he wasn’t opening at all so maybe that’s a good sign?

Okay so I don’t have any of that poultry nutri-drench but I can try and pick some up tomorrow. Do you know where I can find it? Their food is chick starter and it has 18% protein. Do you think I should still separate the chick? He keeps getting pushed around by the other ones. He was very excited by the mush but had a hard time getting to it because the others were all at it. Since I don’t have another lamp though if I were to separate him would it be possible I could start up the incubator and put him back in there? Or is that a bad idea? I’ve been doing a lot of research but haven’t been able to find the answers to my questions! Also he just opened his eye that he wasn’t opening at all so maybe that’s a good sign?
Put out 2 more containers of mash in different locations so there are options.
This can get Poultry nutri-drench at TSC. You can also use Rooster Booster.

you could also try sugar water I had a chick that was just drenched with water and almost died so many times but everytime I gave him sugar water he bounced back

I found a baby food line - with a picture of a Chicken on the label - called Sprout for HUMAN babies - but IDK what Chicken food you are using? 18-20% Protein Chick Starter Crumbles are the usual food for the first couple months...or til laying age. I buy it in 40-50# bags. They don't need much food the first couple days - hope they perk up! Warm water may be less of a shock than cold to start also. Probiotics or Sav-a-Chick -on the food can help alot in the first days also. Watch to be sure hey are pooping and poo isn't stuck under their tails. A dab of coconut oil using a Q-Tip - can help melt the dried poo so it can be wiped off easily without trauma to the Chick.

Back
Top Bottom