Eye infection? Pink eye? What’s wrong?!!?

You can hatch chicks to keep though. But if course that will mean longer before you can buy new birds. You cant gmadd any new chickens until all of the infected ones have died off.

I'm sorry. It really does suck. I even quarantined my chicks for 6 weeks before integrating. They never showed symptoms but I'm assuming its because they were hatched from infected parents. I didnt know how my birds got infected until I saw the chicks not getting sick and questioned the breeder. She then informed me the chicks were hatched from parents who had been sick.

Instead of jumping to the worst possible case scenario, start with the easiest to treat. In a shallow bowl, or cup, put a bit of clean, room temperature water. Begin adding salt, stirring with a clean finger. Keep adding salt, until you can feel a little grit with your finger. That means the water is saturated, and no more salt will dissolve. Get a cotton ball, and dip it in the salt water, then gently rub it on the eyes, getting some salt water in the eyes. Do this 3 times a day, for 4 days. By the third day, you should be able to tell if there is some improvement. IF it's conjunctivitis (pink eye) this will take care of it.

IF it does not, it can be a symptom of a respiratory infection, which will require antibiotics.
https://www.jedds.com/shop/doxycycline-20-100-g/ OR https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/

Google eyeworm in poultry. Look at the images, and then look very closely at your bird(s). It may be that they need worming. To treat the eyeworm, worm your chickens AND mix 1/2 Valbazen with 1/2 plain water, and flush the eyes. (Don't worry, if you can't actually flush the eye, just getting some in it will be fine.) Be sure to follow up in 10 days with both treatments.

You will have to watch closely, but it won't take long to figure out if it's something treatable.

They will be getting tested soon then I will figure it out from there. Hope they don’t have MG, although I’m pretty sure that is what they have, as they will have to be culled if that’s the case and I can barely think about it because they are so special to me. Thanks for all the input.
-ChickenWhisperer101

Back
Top Bottom