Eye Infection?

Wafflevixen

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 8, 2014
Within the last couple of days I have noticed a couple of my animals (a chicken and my cat) are having trouble with one of their eyes.

The eye is swollen. It's completely shut on the chicken and mostly shut on the cat. Both have a white mucus discharge coming from the eye. Upon cleaning the chicken's eye I can see it is very red. On the cat I can see part of her third eyelid covering her eye. Of course I'm not sure if the two cases are related, but they showed up at the same time and have the same symptoms. Any ideas?

The chicken is an adult buff laced polish hen. Otherwise very healthy and laying just fine. She's been acting a little lethargic since she can't see as well, but is still eating and drinking.

Swollen eyes in a chicken can be from a respiratory disease such as MG or coryza, and others, but also from pecking wounds and insect or tick bites. Cats can suffer from chlamydia infections, which need to be treated with antibiotics, and vaccinations will usually prevent it. Blindness can occur if eye infections aren't treated. MG and coryza is treated with Tylan or tetracycline drugs, but they are chronic diseases that make carriers of a flock. I would recommend separating the sick chicken, and getting it tested.

Back
Top Bottom