Favorolles with dark growths on beaks

lilbitspecial

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2015
I have four favarolles hens and a rooster all of which I bought this spring as babies. Three of my hens have developed dark raised spots on their beaks near the nostrils and dark spots on their combs. They act perfectly healthy eating and drinking and are kept in a coop separate from my established flock. I don't have a pic at the moment but can post one later if needed. I'm wondering could this possibly be scaly mites starting up or is fowl pox more likely. I have thought about getting some 1% ivermectin from my avian vet and treating for scaly mites but I know there is no treatment for pox. They are in a 8X8 run but as chicks were kept in a little smaller run once fully feathered and were on medicated chick starter as they were in contact with the ground. They are still on starter but non medicated with plans to switch to layer crumble as soon as the other runs out. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

It would be great if you could post a photo, but definitely sounds like dry fowl pox. Scaly leg mites generally only occur on the legs. It will run its course over a few weeks, and generally won't cause any permanent damage.

Thanks for the reply I have dealt with scaly mites before but not in chickens but parakeets and they developed it on both the beak nasal area and the legs I was just going by that. Will they be carriers after it passes? I have fifteen other chickens and don't want them to develop it. I haven't introduced them yet to my flock but the established ones do free range during the day.

Back
Top Bottom