Feather Sexing Chicks - Calling all Experts

SweetEvngBreeze

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2015
Lexington, KY
I've never started a thread before so bear with me.

I would like this thread to be one where folks can post pics of their chicks' feathers for the purpose of feather sexing. Just like the other "What Breed Or Gender is This?" threads, but dedicated just to feather sexing of the day old (or so) chicks. I've searched the forums for this topic and have found bits and pieces, but I would like to post my pics and learn from the experts as I go. Hence, "Calling all Experts." :D

I've tried to feather sex my day old chicks before and thought I knew what I was looking for, but was never been confident about what I was looking at. And as they grew older, I either sold them or forgot what my predictions were. (I need to find a thread for chicken record keeping, too.) I've found pictures and diagrams on line that illustrate the differences pretty clearly. But then I spread my little peeps wings and go, "Uuuuuh."

I'm not going to post the pictures I've found on different sites - don't know the rules and regs about copying pics. If anyone has some good illustrations, please share.

I'm assuming the Experts will need breed and age of bird but let us know if more info is needed and at what age feather sexing is no longer an option (3 days old, 1 week old??).

I really hope this thread catches on. I've got several hatching as we speak.

Day Old EExTWB Left Wing.jpg Day Old EExTWB Right Wing.jpg
I’ll go first.
This is either an Americauna/Whiting True Blue cross or an EE/Whiting True Blue cross and is 1 day old. I’m thinking pullet???

Attachments

• Day Old EExTWB Right Wing.jpg
    Day Old EExTWB Right Wing.jpg
    683.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Day Old EExTWB Left Wing.jpg
    Day Old EExTWB Left Wing.jpg
    904.5 KB · Views: 2
One caveat for your thread, you need to have breed lines or hybrids that can actually be feather sexed.

Most breeds or hybrids (mixes) cannot be feather sexed. It is a trait that must be selected for at breeding using a fast feathering rooster over a slow feathering hen to produce male chicks that feather slowly and female chicks that feather quickly (due to the way the hen "selects" the gender through the genetic patterns).

Trying to use feather sexing on breeds/lines that are not specifically bred for that will produce a result similar to any non-traditional sexing method...about 50% accuracy....which is statistically the same as the chance of getting 50% male or female in any batch.

http://articles.extension.org/pages/65437/sexing-day-old-chicks-on-small-and-backyard-flocks

LofMc

WOOOWWW! Now I understand why I haven't been able to find a thread about this. I've only read bits and pieces, here and there. I really tried to do my research, but obviously not well enough. I wonder if I can edit the name of this thread to be Feather Sexing Chicks - The Reality!! Maybe folks with my question will land here and be able to cut to the chase and know if it's applicable to their chicks. Or that they are taking lots of blurry pictures of fussy babies' wings for nothing. If I'm going to wrangle babies for pics, I'd rather have some cute head shots. :)

I love this forum, but it's so huge sometimes the info I'm looking for is a nugget here and a nugget there and I get lost/confused before I strike gold.

Many thanks to both of you, Lady of McCamley and debid for the great info!!!!!

From all the information that I have seen on this subject, feather sexing of chicks is only good on days one through three. After the third day, the male feathers catch up with the female feathers.

The University of Missouri did a study on this subject but unfortunately I could not find that link but did find this link instead. This is the final slide in a group of 6 images showing a female and male side by side.

http://animalsciences.missouri.edu/reprod/ReproTech/Feathersex/sld006.htm

WOOOWWW! Now I understand why I haven't been able to find a thread about this. I've only read bits and pieces, here and there. I really tried to do my research, but obviously not well enough. I wonder if I can edit the name of this thread to be Feather Sexing Chicks - The Reality!! Maybe folks with my question will land here and be able to cut to the chase and know if it's applicable to their chicks. Or that they are taking lots of blurry pictures of fussy babies' wings for nothing. If I'm going to wrangle babies for pics, I'd rather have some cute head shots. :)

I love this forum, but it's so huge sometimes the info I'm looking for is a nugget here and a nugget there and I get lost/confused before I strike gold.

Many thanks to both of you, Lady of McCamley and debid for the great info!!!!!

You are welcome.

You should be able to change your forum title (in the old BYC you could edit it...I know as I can't spell anything right the first time...I always have typos!)

You are so welcome...I know what it is like to have a lot of questions and only bits and pieces. BYC makes a great encyclopedia of knowledge. Just ask; someone likely will know.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom