February Hatch-A-Long

Is February too early for a hatch?

• Yeah, I'm going to wait until spring!

Votes: 12 8.1%
  • My chickens haven't started laying yet!

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • No way! Hatching year-round is the way to go!

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • The earlier the better!

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I'm going to summon spring with some early chicks!

Votes: 22 14.9%
  • Already have eggs in the incubator!

Votes: 84 56.8%

• Total voters
Pics
5c.PNG

These 5 eggs are from my hens due later time than my shipped eggs. I have a window of fertility with my hens eggs since I got rid of the roosters that fertilized these eggs, (under 3 weeks) so I set aside 6 of the same eggs I will incubate in a diff incubator to check fertility. Due March. I have other roosters but they will probably be do nothings for the next couple months.

OK I made little shoes for my curled toes baby. Her toes were curled in and she was walking on the sides of her feet. Tried just with some paper tape but that wasn’t stiff enough. The outer toe kept curling in. Now she has some card stock covered with tape and seems to be working better. It’s a bit awkward for her to walk though. This is the first time I’ve tried taping the feet. I tried a multitude of other interventions like splinting and cup therapy, but not this.
For those of you who have tried this, does this look right to you? How long should she wear them? I find different opinions on the threads anywhere from a few days to a week. Seeing as how quickly they grow I’m assuming these would need to be changed if she had to wear them longer than a few days. Noticed when she walks she throws her feet outward a little bit is this going to give her any permanent issues? Her hips don’t seem to be externally rotated.
Thanks!😊
ADDCA4F3-B404-404B-9966-D1A58EF5EADE.jpeg
C882A6E9-B7D6-49C2-85CB-AD8ABB6EA6EF.jpeg

I would CAREFULLY trim that long one until it is just a tiny bit longer than her toes. I have taped quite a few feet in the past and making the shoes as close to the chicks actually feet size will help with them walking.

But good job! Looks good. :thumbsup
Thanks! It was HARD getting that outer toe lined up to keep her whole foot from curling in. This was the malpositioned chick, that was almost a full assist.
She looks like a little duckling now with those feet. Reminds me also of clown shoes. 🤣

Back
Top Bottom